Chapter Thirty-Six

Axel scratched his temples after I told him everything that his dad told me. About him having to go back to his treatment, but it looks like he doesn't want to.

"If you could just hear him out. He's only thinking of you." I said.

He shook his head. "Do you think I don't know that?" He asked.

"Then why don't you go back? You'll get better there. There are people who will take care of you and treat you."  I replied.

His head turned to me and his eyes stared at me like he was contemplating on something. "It's not as easy as you think it is, Violet. There's more to it than just pills and boring talks. Something that you wouldn't understand!"

I stopped.

"Wow." I scoffed, standing up. I picked up my clothes, putting my shirt on.

I heard him sigh in frustration. "That's not what I meant, Violet." He said.

"No. You made it clear and I understand." I said, sarcastically.

He stood up. "I'm just trying to say that---"

"You don't have to say anything. That's what you said and it's fine." I turned to him, cutting him off. "You're right. I don't know anything because I'm not like you. But I'm trying to understand you, Axel."

He looked down at me while I looked up at him. "I didn't continue with my studies after I graduated psychology. That was six months ago. I decided to leave home because I was losing myself. The treatments caused me to be depressed which was more unbearable than schizophrenia." He took a deep sigh. "I can still control my schizo and I can choose to ignore them, but depression tears you apart and you have no choice. So I came here."

I took a deep sigh. "But you can't control it forever, Axel. What happens then?" I asked, calmly.

"My decision is final. Not even you can change it." He said firmly, putting on his pants.

I was left silent and all I could ever do is stay that way because there's no changing his mind, that's for sure. There's a reason why he left home and whatever that is, knowing Axel, he'll stay with his decision.

But the thing is, his dad is right. He may be okay right now but eventually, his mental illness will eat him up. Who knows what will happen to him? Who knows what will come? I just don't want to lose Axel to his monsters. He sees them all the time and I know that. He can't hide it. Everytime I'm with him, there's always a moment where he'll stare at one thing as if he's looking at something else, as if he's commmunicating with something.

That scares me. A lot. I don't know what goes on in his head.

I put on the rest of my clothes and grabbed my keys. "I'm going home, Aunt Mary's probably waiting for me." I said, heading to the door.

"Please don't leave me." Axel said.

I turned to him and he was already looking at me.

"Let me... uhm.. treat you to dinner." He said, coyly looking at me. "Atleast."

I looked down, scoffing a smile.

Random.

I nodded, looking back at him. "But I get to decide where." I said, getting out of the house.

We drove to this little restaurant just a few minutes away from Axel's house.

We were now sitting on one of the spots a bit far from the door where the only light that lit the area was the bulb that hung over our heads.

"Of all the nicer places you could've chosen, you chose this place." He said.

I smiled at him. "Well, I'm starving. I can't wait for food. Plus, we can't go to a fancy place looking like this. We've got after sex written all over our faces." I said, looking at the small menu.