Chapter Thirty-Eight

I shook my head as calmly as I could, brushing off the fact that Tyler came by to see if I was okay.

It's sweet but I couldn't tell Axel. And you know why.

"Nothing." I said, rushing to the kitchen as I placed the soup as quickly (but carefully) as I can on the countertop.

Axel followed me, of course, but I got out of the kitchen before he could get in.

"Why weren't you at school again? It's weird for you to be home on a thursday." Axel said, following me with his eyes.

I scratched my head. "I was..." I stuttered. "I was not feeling well. I was a bit feverish this morning but I'm all good now." Waking up this morning was just the worst. I was dizzy and overall just felt like shit. And god, eggs just didn't smell great. Yuck!

"Feverish?" He asked, placing a hand on my forehead the down to my neck. "Did you take any medicine?"

I nodded. "Of course I did."

"And does your aunt know about this?" He asked, again.

I looked at him, wanting to say no but I couldn't because of how concerned he was looking at me. I couldn't lie. "Uhm..." I said, dodging the question instead.

But Axel's eyes lit up, not in joy, but in disappointment. "Why didn't you tell your aunt? She could've brought you to the doctor for a check-up." He exclaimed.

I shrugged. "I'm fine, Axel. I'm literally okay. I don't need to go to the hospital." I said, going to the living room.

"But are you really?" He asked. "What's your aunt doing anyway? Shouldn't she be in school or something?"

I rolled my eyes. "Axel..." I turned to him. "I'm not a child, okay? So stop treating me like one. I know when I'm sick or not. And I'm not. So if you could just stop it, that'd be great." I commanded, taking in a big sigh."It's Aunt Mary's birthday today and I didn't want to bother her because she had plans with Harry." I said, a bit frustrated. I rolled my eyes at him again before getting the car key that was on the small table.

"Okay." Taking in my words."But where are you going?" He asked.

"To pick-up Jack-Jack." I said. "And buy some stuff for dinner. I want to prepare something for aunt Mary."

Axel's hand gripped mine and pulled me close to him. I was now clutching on to him, when suddenly he kissed me. It was soft and light as if he wanted to tell me something. It was careful, as if he didn't want to make me feel uneasy. And it was electrifying because it was unusually new from him. It was different from the kisses we had when we had sex. And it flows through me like a gush of wind on a sunny day.

Too much words, I know, but it describes it so perfectly.

Axel broke the kiss off and I was left wanting more. "I'll drive." He said, grabbing the keys from my other hand as he pulled me with him.

I looked at him and I knew I was safe. This is not the guy who would hurt me despite his very masculine physique and his intriguing tattoos, this is not the guy who would break me even when his ownself is breaking him. Axel is not that guy.

We drove to Aunt Mary's friend's house to pick up Jack-Jack and as soon as I got out of the car, my little brother came running towards me.

Or so I thought.

He went straight to Axel who was leaning on the hood of the car. "Axel!" He exclaimed in joy.

My eyes darted to Axel who was smirking at the little boy running towards him.