Chapter Forty

"You're joking right? Because it's not funny." I said.

But all Axel did was stare at me.

No words.

Nothing.

And just like that, my body felt limp.

I looked at his eyes searching for answers but even they were quiet. "Why?" I blurted. "What did I do? I thought we were happy, Axel." I asked.

Axel takes a deep sigh. "I'm sorry, Violet." He said, standing up.

"You're just going to leave like that? As if nothing happened?" I said.

But he rushed to the door, leaving me behind. "Axel!" I shouted.

People were now starting to take notice of the two of us. But Axel went out with no word or anything.

I followed him, not knowing if I should. But I should because I need some answers. I need him to tell me the reason why he's breaking up with me.

I know he's going away but I don't find it an excuse to end whatever this is that we have! I don't care if I beg, because sometimes we need to. That sometimes is now. "Axel!" I called out.

But when I got out, he was already standing by his vehicle. "Tell me why, Axel. You can't just leave me like this." I said. "Is it me? Did I do something? Did I say something? Did I not make you happy?" I asked. These many questions from a girl on the sidewalk. "I don't understand." I whimpered, forcing myself not to cry.

"It's not you, Vi--" He said but I cut him off.

"Don't play that bullshit Axel! This is not a movie! You can't give me that! I just don't understand why we have to do this!" I shouted. "Tell me the truth." I said, looking at him. Only him.

"Because I know that one day you'll realize that you no longer feel the same way for me!" He shouted back, pain in his words. "I'm leaving for California after tomorrow, Violet. I don't know when I'll be back." He said, looking at me.

A tear fell down my eye as I shook my head in disbelief. "Then I'll wait for you!" I said, taking a step towards him. "I don't care if it'll take you months, I don't care if it'll take you years. Just... please... don't do this."

"I'm sorry, Violet." He said as he slid up to his motorcyle.

I clutched on to him, in fear of losing him as the pain of the thought cloud my mind. "Axel... Please! Axel!" I begged. "I love you! Please don't do this to me! Axel!"

He doesn't mind my whimpers, his stern, stoic expression masking his face. He starts the motorcycle and I found myself kneeling on the hard, pebbled sidewalk. "No! No! Axel! I love you. I love you so much!" I begged one more time but I fell, with my hands keeping me from completely colliding with the ground as he drove away. It was as if a nuclear bomb had been dropped on me and I was left broken and in pieces.

No answers.

No explanations.

Axel just left.

And it hurts.

My head hurts.

My heart hurts.

And at this point, everything hurts. And everything seems dark as if nothing has become the only thing that I see.

And alas, I indeed fell to the ground.

I heard muffled voices surround me, calling for help. And as much as I don't want everyone to worry, I was too late.

The last thing I heard was Kristine's voice. "Call an ambulance!" She said.

○○○

I woke up in a hospital room, Aunt Mary's voice coming through the door, talking to a woman who I believed was a doctor.