Chapter Nineteen

Axel decided to stay for the night, specifically on the living room couch since I didn't allow him to drive alone at night and he can't stay in my bedroom to prevent any suspicions by aunt Mary.

And now, we're having breakfast. Axel, Jack-Jack, aunt Mary and I were now sitting around the table.

Aunt Mary had whipped up some banana shake saying it was her hangover cure and she needed the cure so badly.
I cooked the food which are bacon and eggs and the whole time, Axel was looking at me.

"Are you excited for your first day, Violet?" Aunt Mary asks as she bit down on her bacon.

I nodded. "Yeah, I actually am. I mean, I'm not complete comfortable. I'm a bit nervous but I'm looking forward to it." I answered, confidently.

Aunt Mary shook her head. "Well, I'm happy for you. I'm sure your mom and dad would've been so proud!" She exclaimed as she sipped on her banana shake. "It's your last year in high school so just have fun and really don't think about it. I mean, of course you need to think about your future but also enjoy while it lasts. You know, make friends, go on adventures, maybe look for a boyfriend while you're at it." Aunt Mary jokingly says almost making me choke on my food.

Axel winked at me to which I rolled my eyes. I just couldn't deal with his plays right now! I looked away from him trying to keep myself from smiling at him. "That's really not... I mean.. Come on aunt Mary!" I exclaimed, blushing.

Aunt Mary shrugs as she cleared her throat. She looked at the tattooed guy infront of her. "So, Axel." She started.

Axel's head immediately turned to aunt Mary, his eyes widened. "Yes, maam?"

"Do you go to school? High school?" Aunt Mary asks, propping down her eyeglasses as she looked at Axel.

I looked down, trying to prevent any smiles from escaping my lips. Axel cleared his throat as he fixed his composure. "Well, uhm.. I actually graduated psychology this year and now I'm taking up neuroscience." He said, side-eyeing me again.

Show off.

Aunt Mary's eyes widen as Axel finishes his sentence as if she was impressed. "Oh. Really? Wow. That's... awesome! I mean, neuroscience? That must be hard! Why'd you choose to study neuroscience?" She asked.

Axel swallowed his food and sipped down his juice as he prepares to answer. "I guess, I just wanted to learn how the brain works. It's such a complex piece of our body and I wanted to venture into that. I want to solve its mysteries and just understand how it operates." He says with confidence.

I'm blown away.

I mean, he has schizophrenia and normally, some people (I think) would be terrified to even think about facing the one thing that has been giving them problems. I would. And for him to study neuroscience still amazes me.

"That's amazing. Atleast we know you're not a good-for-nothing type of guy." Aunt Mary laughs, awkwardly. We laughed awkwardly. That was very awkward. What?

"Okay!" She snaps. "Violet, you need to get going now. You need to drop by the principal's office to get your schedule and other stuff that they want you to have. I would want us to go together but I still have to talk with Amanda about babysitting Jack-Jack. And it would take time since I have to teach her stuff about your brother. So, would you mind if you ride the bus? Just for today?" She asked.

I was about to say yes when Axel replied. "I'll take her."

Both mine and aunt Mary's eyes turned to him with our eyebrows furrowed.

He shrugs. "I'll drop her on my way home. My apartment's literally just blocks away from Wormbrooke High."

I looked at aunt Mary who had her eyebrows still furrowed but it didn't take long til her face lightened. "Well. That would be great." She says. "But is it okay with you? I mean, if it's not any trouble---"