Chapter 30 - Situation at the Capital

In the capital of New Maximillian Kingdom, a pair of adventurer walked through the main road. They wore expensive looking equipments and weaponry. One of them was a demi-human with rat whisker as the other was a fully armored woman. They walked toward the adventurer guild while dragging a large corpse of Tri-Horned Chaos Bear, an A Ranked Monster.

“Look at that” “They are amazing” “As expected from S ranked adventurers.”

The surroundings were noisy from admiration. The two of them were ignoring them as they silently walked into the capital.

“W-W-Welcome to Maximillian Division Adventurer Guild, C-C-Can I help you?”

The receptionist was unable to speak properly from admiration.

“We’re here to report on the subjugation of Tri-Horned Chaos Bear.”

The Whiskered demi-human, Mark, said. The full armored knight beside him, Flo, only observed the surrounding atmosphere with disinterest. She frowned when she saw a hooded man who covered most of his facial feature.

“M-Mark-sama, I appreciated the quick report on the subjugation but please don’t pull the corpse to the counter next time. You can bring the corpse to the dismantling house first and report it afterward.”

She warned. Mark looked at the 4 meters tall bear behind him.

“Ah, sorry, I forgot.”

He said calmly.

“Please deduce the dismantling and cleaning cost from the reward.”

He added.

“Understood.”

The receptionist said. She counted the number of the reward and took some money from the register.

“Here’s the reward, 5 platinum and 9 large gold coins.”

She said as she handed the reward. Mark received the money and dragged the corpse out from the guild before heading to the dismantling house. Flo who had waited for him followed him after he left.

“Those two are quite weird pair don’t you think?”

An adventurer said.

“But, they are very strong. I heard they are even comparable to a royal knight.”

Another adventurer said.

“They also often get some recommendation quest from the nobles. Their success rate of the quest is 100% I heard from the receptionist at the other day.”

Another adventurer added.

“As expected of S Ranker, they are really at different league than us.”

At that statement, the adventurers nodded in agreement.

Mark and Flo received the raw materials as well as money from selling the meat from the dismantling house. Without any delay, he threw the raw material inside his magic bag.

“How’s the situation?”

Mark asked Flo who was waiting outside. She shook her head.

“Excuse me, are you two S Ranked Adventurer Party [Hound of Hamelin]?”

A knight approached them with a formal tone. Mark looked at Flo once.

“Yes, I’m the party leader, Mark. This is my partner, Flo.”

He said.

“Umm, I’m sorry if I’m bit sudden but can you sell the monster core of Tri-Horned Chaos Bear you just dismantled? Ah, also the other monster cores you have if possible. I heard you never sell any of them.”

The knight asked.

“My apologies but my clan had forbid me from trading any raw material we hunt beside the meat. Especially the core, our people believe that the spirit of the defeated magic beast would dwell inside it till it’s purified.”

Mark said. This was of course a big fat lie. He was a hunter so he had some wild tribal aura around him. That's why he used that as an excuse.

“Umm… Can you consider it? This is a part of the royal order to gather the monster cores from adventurers.”

He said.

“No, I won’t sell any.”

Mark said persistently.

“Umm… how much you’re going to pay the core?”

Flo asked. Under her helmet her ears were twitching when she sensed some profit chance.

“5 large gold coins for the Tri-“

“No thank you. It’s too cheap for that rank A Core.”

Flo refused him flatly. She got dejected from the false alarm of her sense.

“What?”

He was dumbfounded. He gritted his teeth and glared at Flo.

“You will regret it!! You won’t be able to sell that core anywhere!!”

The knight threatened.

“I never plan to sell it though.”

Mark said.

“Grrr!!”

The knight was annoyed.

“It seems like we’re not welcome in this country. Let’s go, Flo. We don’t need to supply anything here. I bet the price would be unworthy for us to afford.”

Mark said. Flo who heard it sighed.

“There you hear him, please excuse us.”

She said. The two of them walked toward the gate.

“WAIT!!”

The knight called.

“1 platinum!! I’ll buy it for 1 platinum!!”

He offered a higher price. Flo sighed and shook her head. She knew well the market price of the magic core. Normally, an A Ranked Monster Core would cost 5 to 30 platinum coins depending on the monster type. Offering 1 platinum coin for that was too cheap as usually such monster core was put in an auction.

“15 platinum coins and we strike the deal.”

Flo said.

“15?!! You filthy commoner should have offered it to us for free!! It’s already generous enough for me to offer 1 platinum for that core!!”

He suddenly became arrogant.

“It seems like we just stepped in a wrong country. Pardon our intrusion. We’ll never come back here.”

Flo said.

“GUARDS!! CATCH THEM!!”

The knight shouted.

“Oi Oi, seriously? He’s trying to rob our cores, Mark. It seems like this place is really not worthy to visit.”

Flo said. Mark nodded. He hastened his steps toward the gate. Flo followed him half running. They never knew that there was no Guard who would move for the knights’ request.

“Halt! Please show me your identification.”

The gatekeeper stopped them.

“S Ranked Adventurer Mark and Flo, are you on a quest?”

The gatekeeper asked after reading the adventurer name plates.

“No, we’re going to the mountain for hunting.”

Mark said.

“I see. Then, have a nice hunt.”

The gatekeeper said. Mark and Flo left the capital at ease and without any delay, they left the kingdom. The leave of two outstanding adventurers became a big ruckus in the Adventurer Guild. This news reached Daigo’s ear and the knight who had caused the leave of those adventurers got punished severely and his family was stripped from the title of nobility.