Chapter 45 - Prologue of Conflict

Karina's POV

Today, I had my daily duty started. I woke up before anybody did and prepared myself. I opened my wardrobe and picked a black maid uniform among 21 sets of uniform lined there. As I began undressing, my gaze fell on the old plate armor beside the bed. The luxurious sword was stood out beside it as both of them gave out the majestic aura.

'This is Sora. Karina, come in.'

I heard somehow heard some voice echoed inside my head. I ignored it as according to my master, Madam Arleshia, it was just some spirit trying to prank me due to my constitution as a valkyrie. I quickly resumed my changing while ignoring 11 different voices trying to call me inside my head.

I left the servant quarter and headed to my master's abode. I didn't forget to fetch some new tea leaves and hot water from the kitchen along the way so I could serve her some freshly brewed morning tea. I knocked the door twice before entering.

Madam Arleshia was still sleeping. Beside her, a young girl and a young dragon were sleeping peacefully. They were Milady Alicia Concerto, Madam Arleshia's disciple as well as the person I must protect at all cost, and Lilliana Concerto, Milady Alicia's familiar. I stood in waiting for any of them woke up naturally.

Among the things inside the room, there was something that always bothered me. A single statue of a man was standing at the corner of the room. It was an item belonged to Milady. Before she was admitted as Madam's disciple, she always slept with that statue and I was given a duty to protect her all the time as a bodyguard. Madam asked her to dispose it once but Milady opposed it with all her might. Even the familiar, Lilliana, was very attached to that statue.

Even it was weird, I somehow also felt some nostalgic longing feeling toward it. It sounded weird but I had a hunch that this statue was made in order to remind us of my previous lord who entrusted me to protect Milady. Although it was quite weird that I couldn't remember anything about him, I decided to let it slide and focused on my duty.

Madam and Milady woke up roughly 3 minutes later. Milady got off from the bed and touched the cheek of the statue and greeted it. It looked weird but this was like a morning rite which she must do daily. Milady smiled at it as she watched at the face with affection.

"Karina, what's the schedule today?"

Madam asked me. I quickly took out the memo pad inside my pocket and read the content.

"Madam's schedule would be doing morning speech in the academy assembly then visiting the R&D Department regarding their new invention's presentation, after that, attending the tea party held by Marquiss Afftoir, then visiting the Alchemist Guildmaster and finally having lunch at Everluke Estate with the Councilors. After the lunch, you would a schedule to resume the previous lecture for Milady, check on Milady's research project and finally return to the office to do the paperwork till the end of the day."

I said. I flipped the memo's page and checked the content.

"Milady's schedule would be attending various lectures from the academy and then join the lunch with Madam and joining Madam's schedule till the research checking. After that, Milady would have an afternoon tea party with Count Arthera's daughter and have a free time till dinner."

I said.

"I see, thank you."

Madam thanked me. After that, I helped with Madam and Milady with their morning preparation and acted as Madam's assistant till the time we head to the office. It was pretty tiring to act as her assistant as she moved a lot.

I could relax myself a bit as Madam was checking on the documents which had been left piling up since the morning. Milady was now staying in the Academy Library to find the solutions of the faults Madam had pointed out on her research. But, at this moment, the greatest peace could be felt in this room.

But, suddenly I felt some kind of wave had swept me. The dragon shaped birthmark on my chest throbbed once. I reflexively moved my hand toward it.

"What's wrong, Karina?"

Madam asked me. It seems like she couldn't feel the wave. I shook my head and smiled.

"It's nothing, Madam."

I said.

'This is Ren. All Zodiac Braves, report your state.'

A voice echoed inside my head. It was different from the usual voices and somehow I felt nostalgic when I heard it. For some reason, I felt relieved when I heard his voice. The voice stopped for around 30 minutes.

'Karina, if you're there please respond.'

The voice called me again. I glanced at Madam. She was still busy with her paperwork.

'Karina, I'm heading to your place. Please don't change your location if possible.'

The voice said. I somehow felt that this voice had a slight difference from the other voices. Suddenly, Madam stood up and frowned.

"It seems like we got an intruder."

She said. I widened my eyes and focused my senses. It was faint but I could hear the voices of the security guards were trying to stop someone. I remembered what the voice had just said to me. The sound of the guards got done in became closer and closer to the entrance of this room.

I quickly stood in front of Madam and prepared my stance. The door slowly opened and a youth with black hair entered as if it was normal thing to do. He sighed and brushed the dust over the light brown coat he was wearing. I widened my eyes in shock upon seeing his features.

"Who are you?"

Madam asked him.

"Ah, don't mind me. I'm just passing by Alchemist. Ah, there you're. What are you doing for not replying my call? Also, what's with that look, Karina?"

He said with over familiar tone. I stared at him as I tried to measure his strength. He frowned when he saw my reaction. He then turned his gaze toward Madam.

"Oi, there are few thing I want to ask here. But, firstly, tell me. What had you done to my subordinate? Depending on your answer, you might turn into nothing but dust."

He asked. His tone was dark and deep. I didn't know why, I felt sudden chills in my spine. He was serious. Also, no matter how I think about it, my instinct was telling me that I must not oppose him no matter what. I looked at Madam. She was still fine regardless the threatening aura which was densely packed inside this room.