Chapter 31 - Third Seal, Way of Alchemy

Ren’s here. After I regained my level, appraisal, and titles, I continued my journey in the boundary of Life and Death. It had been around 2 days since my farewell to the young Ren and I had met the next person who held the crystal sphere but the person itself was a problem.

Grand Alchemist Alferdosa Triadismagistus Alchemista

That was the name of the holder of my crystal sphere. He was the first person who had managed to create a perfect homunculus and youth elixir in the past. Even though his methods, knowledge, and recipes were lost, his name had become a legend in the world of alchemy.

The reason why I had to stay with him was because he forced me to attend his class. He was trying to ingrain the knowledge of alchemy into my head. As a person from modern earth, I was familiar with chemistry but in alchemy, there were magic factors included in the theory beside the scientific ones. My lack of knowledge in that aspect made this old man was furious and forced me to listen to his long lectures.

Extracting, Mixing, Transmuting

Those three were a part of basic alchemy I had learned. But, the Transmuting I had done was just changing shapes and form of a matter. I had never imbued something with mana or creating golem as I had no idea how do those things worked.

Magic endowment on potion can prolong the potion’s stability or enhance the effect. I wish I could get my magic bag or storage back but it seems like they were held by different person. The principle of magic endowment was either strengthening the molecular bond with mana or something like that. But when I asked Alferd-sensei, I was scolded.

“Listen, magic endowment wasn’t something as simple as reinforcing a matter!! It is-“

And thus the long lecture restarted. Every time I was enlightened by a rough theory, the professor would deny it and gave a deeper explanation and gave even more complex theory. Honestly, I was at lost how long I need to completely understand alchemy.

I started to worry about the lesson getting longer and longer. But, instead of remembering the content, I was trying to pick out the principle behind them. So far, I was already mastering the Intermediate Potioncraft. Advanced Potioncraft was a course which was already lost and this magic endowment was the key of reaching it.

Golem Creation wasn’t as easy as it seems. It needed a magic endowment and circuit engraftment as the basic course. I hadn’t learned any of them so the lesson increased even more.

“I will lend you a magic tool for alchemy. This magic tool is my masterpiece for those who wish to learn alchemy without getting the Alchemist class.”

He said as he handed me a black glove with a magic circle sewn on the back. And with that, my training to be a proper alchemist was practically started.

Creating complex golem parts was nothing worth of mentioning as I had good imagination but the engraving part was difficult. I must be able to make a vein for the mana to flow while making sure during the engraving I also created an isolation tube so that the mana which was going to flow inside the vein won’t leak.

The mana manipulation of using the magic tool was quite difficult and tricky for a complex job like this. This tool indeed handy for those who need alchemy but the mana consumption was a problem. It used three times amount of the usage of ordinary alchemy skill and the effect was just 50% of the original.

“This tool is rather tricky to use.”

I muttered.

“Don’t complain. That’s still a prototype after all.”

Alferd-sensei said.

“Sensei, why did you choose to study alchemy till this extent?”

I asked him as I worked.

“Hmm? Alchemy is a glimpse of hope for my family. You might not know it but 2000 years ago, alchemist is a precious occupation. Many nobles hired various alchemists from every background. There are many hidden intention during the alchemist enlisting but most of the time was the desire to get an immortality medicine, youth potion, magic soldier, or a cure against an epidemic.”

He said.

“I can see where that came from somehow.”

I replied.

“Then, what about you? Why did you pursue alchemy so half-bakedly?”

Alferd-sensei asked.

“Half-bakedly isn’t something I wanted to do actually. But, I was given this occupation by some hidden agenda of the church. My alchemy skill was also something I learned bit by bit by combining the knowledge from my past life. In the world where alchemists are looked down, finding a proper teacher is almost impossible.”

I said.

“That’s quite troublesome. No wonder you can’t use magic endowment or circuit engraving.”

He murmured. I stared at the complex engraving in my hand. After ensuring there was no mistake, I finished my work and showed it to Alferd-sensei.

“Umu, this is indeed a good circuit. You really got talent in this. It should be soon when you will be able to realise the way to make a golem.”

He praised me. He sighed and looked upward.

“The era of alchemist has long over. But, it doesn’t mean being one is a great disgrace. I believe that in your hand, alchemy will reach the peak once again. So, I leave the fate of alchemist in your hand.”

He said while handing me the crystal sphere. I received it gratefully and watched his departure to the realm of the dead. The Great Alchemist Alferdosa Triadismagistus Alchemista, from the bottom of my heart I thanked him for his guidance. I walked toward the door where the next path I must take located. I made up my mind and dashed straight into the dark corridor.