Chapter 72 - Into the City of Beastkin (2)

Blade, Kagura, and Mana finally managed to arrive at the city. They got some ride from the knights as an apology for using such ridiculous way to attack the bandits from the city wall. However, they were not able to enter the city right away. As a travelers without any identification card, the three of them must undergo an inspection and currently they were made to wait inside the guard station.

"Sorry for the wait."

A full plated knight entered. Judging from the voice the knight was a female. She was carrying a stone tablet and a book with her. She put down the stone tablet on the only table in the room.

"Before we start please let me apologize in the stead of my dumb subordinate!!"

She made a polite bow. It seems like the attack from earlier wasn't intentionally done by the guard corps but it was done by a new super reckless recruit stationed at the city wall. 

"No, it's alright. We are not injured and thanks to that we can conserve more energy after arriving at this city."

Blade replied. Kagura and Mana didn't say anything and acted like obedient children to leave the troublesome things for him.

"Ah, I'm the Captain of the 3rd Guard Corps of Alpha City. The name is Erica Lynx."

The knight introduced herself.

"Ah, I'm Blade, a travelling swordsman."

Blade introduced himself. He turned to Mana who sat on Kagura's lap obediently.

"This girl is a relative of mine who I took care of and the black haired one is my pupil who came travelling with me."

"Mana-desu."

"Monzono Kagura. Pleasure to meet you Captain Lynx."

Erica nodded after the introduction. She moved her hand toward the stone slab and opened the book.

"Then, let's start the inspection. Please pour your mana into this stone slab in turn."

Erica said. Blade looked at his companions. They stood up and approached the desk. The first one was Kagura. She put her hand on the stone slab and poured some mana into it. The stone slab gave out a faint light before fading. A short time afterward, the opened page of the book shone and the formerly blank page become filled with various information.

"Monzono Kagura-san, 16 years old, is that right? Also, the race is human. Oh, the level is rather high i see... and... there's no record of crime. Eh? This is..."

Erica muttered as she read the information written on the page. Her face turned into an astonishment as she turned her face from the page to Kagura. 

"Is something wrong?"

Blade asked worriedly.

"No, it's just... It was stated that you have subjugated some bandits with bounty here..."

Erica said while her hands were trembling. 

"Ah, that? Shishou told me to crush some dens of bandit as a condition to go on his next quest. I thought he was joking but when he led me to the real one right away I got no choice but to do it."

Kagura said.

"Kagura-onee-chan is so cool that time!!"

Mana said innocently. Kagura who couldn't stand the innocent cuteness with a swift movement hugged Mana up.

"Don't mind them. It's always like this everytime."

Blade said giving up.

"Ehem!! Then, Mr. Blade, please be the next one."

Erica came to her sense right away after she heard Blade's voice. She offered Blade to be the next.

"No!! Mana want to be the second one!!"

Mana protested as she tried to get free from Kagura.

"Let her go, baka-deshi."

Blade said.

"Mu!!"

Kagura pouted satisfied as she let go of Mana. Mana trotted her way to the table and tried to reach the tablet but the height of the table plus the distance of the table from the edge was beyond her reach. 

"Haa~ so cute~"

Kagura muttered. Blade sighed and helped her up. As soon as the little hand touched the tablet, It gave out bright silver light and the book shone with even brighter light.

"Le-let's see... The name is Mana, the age is 12 years old, and the race is... Wha-What the hell!!!"

Erica lost her calm. Blade sighed as she looked at Erica's surprised look. Without even waiting for her to regain her sense, he touched the tablet intentionally. As soon as he did, the tablet shone followed by the book Erica was reading intently with her eyes wide open under her full face helmet.

And the result was...

"GYAAAA!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!! MY EYES!!!"

She rolled on the floor. while covering her eyes or rather her the gap of her helmet in front of her eyes. As the result from rolling over and over, her helmet shifted and became faced backward after she crashed into a nearby bookshelf. She began panicking as she became unable to see. 

Seeing this stupid scene Blade sighed and approached her. He swiftly pulled her helmet up and revealed the knights' true face. Long gray hair rolled down as its restrain was released and the face of the half-crying girl was could be seen along with her folded ears.

"Huh? I didn't expect to find a rare cat-kin underneath."

Blade said. Erica who still had some blurry eyes from the sudden change of light intensity was unconsciously looked up at Blade's face as Blade's eyes were directed at her. 

"What?"

Blade asked. Erica came to her sense. She ended up gave him a long sermon for what he had done before. At the mean time, Mana was only could watch the old tiger was kneeling and being scolded by a girl of the catkin while enjoying her snacks with Kagura.