Chapter 71 - Into the City of the Beastkin (1)

"Kagura-Onee-chan, this way!! Hurry!!"

Mana said excitedly, trotting in front of their group. She waved her hands excitedly which was very suited for her petite girl appearance. She wore a white sleeveless shirt and black skirt with cute pink ribbon on her chest plus a pink bunny shaped magic bag she carried. Her petite stature, cute silver wavy hair, and the innocent smile was something that could be said a perfect personification of cuteness.

"Yes~"

The girl who was also jogging after her, Kagura, replied with kind smile on her face. Rather than kind, it was probably better to say she was completely charmed. Her black hair tied in ponytail was moving around side to side and her the katana on her waist was making some metallic sound. Her white shirt and black skirt was in a sense suite her very much and the red ribbon tying her hair gave additional plus to her femininity. However, the expression she had was somehow a big minus contrary to her beautiful look and stylish outfit.

Behind the two, the sole person with very Beast-like appearance, Blade, walked leisurely as the representative of the sole adult among the three. His silverish fur with some black line pattern of a tiger covered his whole body and his tiger head was showing the true form of a ferocious beast. Peeking from the gap of his sleeveless parka was the well built muscles. He wore pair of gauntlet on his arms and was carrying a greatsword on his back and the old styled magic bag was hanging from his shoulder.

Currently, they were heading to a city which belonged to the beastkin country, Leonid. The original plan was that only Blade and Mana who supposed to go there but due to the extreme attachment of the Hero of Courage to Mana's daily behaviour and kindness, she ended up tagging along.

"Ah!! I can see the outer wall!!"

Mana said excitedly. Kagura who managed to catch up to her, looked at the direction Mana was looking at. Indeed she also could see the gate too but the gate she mentioned was still at some distance away.

"Mana, you should tone down for a bit. You might attract some unwanted encounter."

Blade warned.

"E~h!! Bu~t this is the first time Mana is going to the city!!"

Mana pouted.

"That's right, shisshou!! Mana-chan is still a child so it's fine to be excited over this!!"

Kagura added. The both girls were glaring at him. Blade could only sighed at that time. He never thought the journey would exhaust him mentally than physically.

"You know, this is a highway to an important city. If you wander around like that, you might attract some-"

Swoosh!!

Just before he could finish his sentence, an arrow flew toward Blade's direction aiming at his head. Blade caught the arrow with ease without looking at the shooter who was hiding on a tree behind him. 

"Tch!!"

The assailant clicked his tongue. He blew a whistle and soon a group of 20 surrounded them from their hiding.

"See? The bugs really got attracted to you two."

Blade said.

"Heh!! Hand over your belongings and the girls!! I won't negotiate or compromise any lesser than that!!"

A fox beastkin said arrogantly. Kagura stood in front of Mana to protect her. She was ready to pull her katana in any moment. Blade tried to reach his sword but stopped midway. He looked toward the city direction for some reason.

"What's wrong?"

Swoosh!! BOOM!!

Suddenly something crashed at the direction of some of the bandits and blew the dust everywhere. Not long after that, several consecutive similar things crashed into the rest of the bandits leaving nothing for Blade to do anything.

When the dust settled in, the bandits who were surroundings them were already either lying here and there unconscious or had fled the moment the first attack happened. Blade approached the center of the one of the explosion and found a metal stake was deeply sank into the ground at the middle of the crater.

Blade tried to reach one of them but he heard a voice calling him from the distance.

"Oooi, are you alright?!!"

Blade looked at the source and saw two knights riding on a wyvern called them after landing some distance away. It seems like the main culprit of these absurd stakes came flying at them lies in the two knights approaching them.