Chapter 64

Natalie's Pov

After the nurse called us back I began to feel a little uneasy. The thought that something might be wrong never failed to surface my mind. Ever since I found out about my heart I've always been able to take bad news pretty well but it's different now because I'm carrying two babies. Xander's babies, and nothing can happen to them. I'd never forgive myself.

I can't stop twiddling my fingers nervously as I sit here and think about this Dr. Greten. I hope he's helpful but if Dr. Carl trusts him I should give him a chance.

I feel Xander's warm and large hand rest at the back of my head and he grabs my hand. "Relax love. You're going to be fine."

My thoughts are interrupted by who I presume is the doctor himself as he enters the room. He's on the taller side, maybe around 6'2 but Xander is still a beast size compared to him. His hair is a darkish Carmel color and his eyes a strong brown. He holds out a hand for me to shake after shaking Xander's.

"It's wonderful to meet you Miss Orez. I'm sure you're a lucky one to be engaged to the famous Xander Moretti here." I look up at him in shock. How did he know?

"I know your doctor very well. He's actually an old mentor of mine when I first started my job as a doctor here." I smile and nod in understanding. Still a little nervous to speak.

"Well we're going to run a few tests on your heart and see what we come up with. Are you currently taking any medications for your heart?"

I feel Xander give my hand a squeeze as I speak up. "Not recently. I haven't lately because of my pregnancy and Dr. Carl said he wasn't too sure if I should take anymore because of my pregnancy until I checked with you."

"Well I will write you a new prescription drug you can take that will in no way affect your babies until they're born."

"No. I refuse to take anymore until after they're born."

"Angel is that safe?" Xander asks worriedly.

"I believe so. Remember as long as I'm not under any stress or strain myself then I'm good."

"Well then let's get started on the tests shall we?"

1 hour later.

Waiting for results is the most agonizing experience sometimes and it's just like you want to rush and get everything over with but you can't.

I'm afraid If it's bad though, Xander will be heartbroken. He doesn't know I think about that because if he did he would do something crazy like try to buy me a lot of expensive stuff. He'd do any and everything he could to make me smile.

I remember how guilty he felt after the day he left in anger. But I had to remind him not to constantly beat himself up about it all the time. I've forgiven him because we all make mistakes.

Dr. Greten returns with a clip in his hand which I'm guessing are the results. "Well Miss Orez I have good news and I have bad news and I'm honestly not sure which I should give you first."

Xander carefully makes me sit in his lap because he was nervous too but didn't want to admit it. I feel him press me closer to him before I tell the doctor to give me the bad news.

"Well apparently you have a condition called Dilated Cardiomyopathy. It's where the heart weakens and eventually causes the heart to not be able to pump enough blood out the body, but in your case it's not fatal for now which is the good part."

"What do you mean for now?" Xander demands a little harshly. I grab his hand and softly kiss his cheek in attempt to soothe him.

"It means her heart is still in a condition where enough blood can run throughout her body but eventually that will start to change. She will become more fatigue and weak unless she has a heart transplant. She will need one in about 2 years so she won't go into heart failure."