14. She Doesnt Think I'm An Asshole

"Why are you not wearing any clothes?" My mom asks me as I walk into the kitchen to get a bottle of water.

"I have shorts on you donut, I'm going for a run." I hang my headphones over my neck.

"No Harry. The neighbours are coming over for dinner, they will be here any minute." She wipes her hands on her apron and grabs her phone from the counter. "I don't know where your father is. He isn't picking up the phone or answering any texts." She tries to call my dad again, but he doesn't answer and she slams her phone down. "Can you please go get changed, or at least put on a t shirt." she raises her voice slightly in annoyance.

"Fine." I sigh.

Her frustration and constant need to be so fucking perfect is annoying me and I stomp up the stairs like an 8yr old who has been told to clean their bedroom or they wont get any dessert after dinner.

Once I get into my room I drop down on the bed and close my eyes for a minute or two.

My thoughts turn to Riley, she will be here any minute and I'm going to have to face her knowing about the bet I made with Louis earlier.

I'm such a fucking idiot.

If I back out now, he will tell her and then make up more bullshit, making it worse then it already is.

She will never talk to me again and I quite like being in her company.

Ahh fuck, this is going to end very, very badly.

A couple of minutes later I hear the faint sounds of the doorbell.

"Harry, can you get the door please?" My mom calls up the stairs.

I quickly throw on a shirt and look in the mirror for a second.

"Now Harry!" she yells up again.

Fuck sake.

Here we go.

...

"You have a lovely home Anne." Audrey compliments my mom as she takes a seat on the sofa. Megan jumps up next to her and Riley sits down on the armchair.

"Thank you, that's very sweet of you. Would any of you like a drink? Harry will get it for you."

"Just a water is fine with me, would you like anything Megan?"

Megan politely asks for orange juice.

"Thank you Harry." Audrey says.

"You're welcome." I smile at her and make my way to the kitchen.

"I'll come help you Harry." Riley stands up too and walks to the kitchen right behind me.

"I didn't see you at school today." She informs me as she stands by the fridge.

I open the door to retrieve a bottle of water and some orange juice.

"I was there." I quietly say.

I don't know if she heard me.

"You're not avoiding me are you? Did I do something wrong?"

She's cute.

"Why would I be avoiding you?" I ask her.

She shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know, maybe because of yesterday...."

I place the items in my hand on the countertop.

I put my hands on her shoulders and look at her in the face. "Yesterday was...well it was very uncomfortable to say the least, but I'm not avoiding you don't be silly. And you haven't done anything wrong. You were surprisingly nice, considering."

"Good." She smiles. "Just so you know, I don't think you're an asshole Harry." she winks at me as she grabs the bottles off the countertop and walks back into the lounge.

She doesn't think you're an asshole Harry.

I repeat this to myself a few times

I gently smack my head on the fridge door.

Yeah. She doesn't think I'm an asshole. I sigh...

Yet.

...

"I'm really sorry that my husband couldn't make it." my mother apologises.

She picks up the wooden utensils to mix the side salad, that is accompanying the lasagne she had cooked for tonight's dinner. I made sure to tell her Riley was a vegetarian so she made her a separate portion.

I can tell she's fucking annoyed and my father is going to feel her wrath when he finally makes it home.

"He has informed me that he has to work late this evening." a fake smiles appears across her face.

"That's fine Anne. We will meet him another day." Audrey reassures her. "It's our turn to make dinner next time." I immediately see my mother relax a little for the first time this evening. "Riley makes a mean Thai green curry."

Everyone's eyes divert to Riley who has a mouthful of lasagne. A little sauce covers the corner of her lips.

She looks adorable.

Her eyes look up at her mother. "Sorry, did you say something mom?"

"I told Anne that you make an incredible Thai green curry." Audrey says a bit slower so Riley can read her lips.

She nods in response. "She's right. I'll make it for you all one day."

"We would love that." My mom says smiling. "Wouldn't we Harry?"

"For sure." I agree. Just to keep the peace.

Once everyone had finished dinner I start picking up the plates to take them to the kitchen.

I figured I would be a little helpful considering my mother has been annoyed enough tonight. I didn't want to add any fuel to that fire.

I already feel sorry for my father. He doesn't know what's coming. She is going to kick off, big time.

"Riley, how about you help Harry take the plates to the kitchen." Audrey says to Riley.

Riley ignores her but for the second time tonight I don't actually think she heard her.

"Oh teenagers never listen do they?" My mother jokes, takin a sip of her wine.

Oh shit.

I forgot to inform her about Riley's hearing.

Well this is fucking awkward.

"She's actually partially deaf." Audrey informs my mom.

Her eyes go wide from the information and she looks absolutely mortified. I can see her cheeks slowly turning red.

"Oh my. I'm so sorry. I wasn't aware." My moms eyes catch mine and I can see her mentally killing me for not telling her something that important.

Well at least I know how my dad is going to feel tonight.

Maybe we can turn this dinner into an all night thing. I know she won't shout at me with guests around.

Sorry mom.

A/N shitty chapter, sorry about that

Please vote, share and comment

Xxx