39. Not Even Close

After what felt like forever waiting, Riley's car finally pulls up beside me.

She rolls down the window to greet me.

"Excuse me young man do you know where I can find the nearest McDonald's? I've been driving around all night and I'm craving a chocolate milkshake." Shes asks, winking at me.

She's so cute.

A huge dork, but a cute one.

"I'm not sure but I think it's the next left and then left again, over the intersection and then a right." I say trying not to smile but failing miserably.

"Ok, thank you sir." She says starting the engine and driving off.

What?

Where the fuck is she going?

I stand up from the bench I've been sitting on for the over an hour as I see her car reversing backwards towards me.

"Get in rockstar." She pats the passenger seat next to her as I open the door and hop in. "Sorry it took me so long to get here, it's really in the middle of nowhere isn't it?"

"I'm sorry for making you come all the way out here, I should have called Niall instead."

"Niall would ask too many questions, you don't need to be interrogated." She leans back, reaching down to a bag near her feet. "I stopped off at McDonald's on the way, I figured you may be hungry and from the smell of you I guess I was right. I'm familiar with the munchies." She teases, handing me a bag.

She's right, I'm starving.

"I'm really sorry for-" I begin to apologise before she cuts me off.

"Don't worry about it." She picks up a drink from the cup holder and takes a sip from the straw. "Milkshake?" She enquires raising her eyebrows, tilting the straw in my direction.

"No thanks." I laugh.

As Riley drives us home she fills me in of what I missed at school today, which just as I expected, I missed nothing. She then goes on to talk about how she had to sneak out of the house again to come and get me, so I really hope I don't get her into trouble.

"You are going to be in for a wild ride when you get home huh? Your mom wasn't very happy when she came over to see if you were hiding at my house. Oh I met your dad by the way, he seems nice."

Fuck, listening to her talk all the way home made me forget about my parents.

"Yeah I'm a dead mean walking." I sigh. "You will probably never see me again."

"That's a shame, I kinda liked you." She tells me.

Yeah, I like you too.

A hell of a lot.

"I'm sure you like a bunch of people, like Niall." I say, not thinking before I speak as per usual.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing, forget I said anything." I look out of the window trying to avoid the awkward conversation that I never should have started in the first place.

There's complete silence in the car for at least a minute.

"Niall is nice-" Riley begins to say.

Great.

Just great.

"But I don't like him in the same way I like you Harry." She puts her hand on my leg and I turn my head to look at her. "Not even close." She smiles at me before turning her attention back to the road.