Chapter 12: Sometimes a new job means a new image.

This is the worst situation I have encountered since what happened five years ago in the Kyrie Kingdom. The suspicious black knight that we had been following since he entered the Illumbee village's road, turned out to be a Dragon Lord.

The others haven't noticed it, but it is to be expected, not many see a Dragon Lord and live to tell the tale. Even I want to forget those memories, but that has proven to be a grave mistake.

Yes, I made the mistake of not being able to gauge his strength and tried to ambush him with my comrades.

A mistake that might cost us our lives.

Maybe I have grown accustomed to this life of ambushing suspicious merchants and slave procurers, letting dust cover my instincts.

But I know that this is a battle we would lose, no questions asked. No matter what tactic, trick, or strategy I were to come up with, it would be useless right now.

Still, we are not dead, and blood has not been spilled. This Dragon Lord wants to talk. So, we shall talk.

Even then just being near him and his gaze is overwhelming...

Kuh...I cannot let this pressure beat me!

I shall not fall. That would be like laughing at the loyalty of my men and the sacrifices we have made. For I am their pillar.

And so, I look at him in the eye and ask for his name, trying to get as much information as possible.

Auros...

His name might be a fake one since there are no Dragon Lords who have that name, that I know of, but he could be speaking the truth too.

I need more information.

Perhaps he is willing to show his face as a sign of good intentions, so that shall be my next request.

He is granting it under an obvious warning, one backed up by the actions of one of my comrades. Still, he stands down the moment I glare at him.

Sorry, my friend, but not even you can land a surprise attack on him and not just because of the full armor that he is wearing.

With that dealt with, he is now taking off his helmet and...!!

I...what is this...?!

He is a Dragon Lord, of that there is no doubt and yet...I feel as if I'm in front a King among Kings?!

It feels as if I'm being swallowed up by his presence and my body screams for me to kneel before him but...I won't.

I can't.

Because this presence also means that his threat is far greater than I thought...

So shaken I am that I sigh and murmur without thinking.

All as my body keeps screaming to me, but I refuse to hear it. I won't bend the knee.

I need to know. I need to hear the reasons for this...being to be on its way to the Kyrie Kingdom. I must at least ascertain that.

I look at him in the eye once more, at those golden draconic eyes he has and ask exactly that.

He chuckles while commenting about me and my comrades. He asks whether it is fear, loyalty, or both that makes them so different from the bandits he knows.

It is something beyond loyalty, but I don't know if someone like a Dragon Lord can understand it. Not after witnessing how they act towards the world and its inhabitants.