Chapter 14: The manly(?) way of gaining trust and base camp.

"As you can see my Lord, this is what we do. Now, if you permit me, I would like to change my clothes since these ones are...too loose now."

Said Erevain, still trying to support her newly bulging chest, while showing me boxes on top of boxes of diverse products and provisions. All 'procured' from merchants they ambushed and so on.

"You may go."

It seems that I was right on the money thinking that they were more than simple bandits. And Erevain hasn't told me the specifics as to why they are doing that, yet, but they are indeed the one's responsible for the road being in such a good state.

That also includes keeping it free of dangerous beasts and monsters.

Still...vigilantes or exiled knights? Right now, I'm betting more on the latter because of Erevain's 'feel', but I also can't deny the other one. Either way, I'm almost certain that Erevain is someone who at least had a high position on this land.

WHY?

ISEKAI LAW OF COURSE!

You can't be an isekai protagonist without AT LEAST one princess, or high priestess, or something along those lines in your harem...I mean...party.

And Erevain's look and feel seem to me like a neon sign screaming 'SOMETHING KINGDOM SOMETHING ARC HEROINE HERE'. But I will stop myself for marking it as a 'check' in the 'isekai things' list until the person herself reveals their circumstances.

Oh well, I may need to do other things before we go there though. I mean, I haven't visited the village of the beginning yet! That is a must! Because that's where I can get some idea of the common sense of this world before throwing it into the trash anyway.

It seems I went a bit off topic there for a moment. Where was I?

Ah yes.

Their base camp has a good level of organization and even hygiene. It doesn't smell bad at all. This is all on Erevain, I'm sure of it.

But I was talking about the boxes, right? They secretly deliver those to a nearby village every first day of the month.

Umu, umu. That is sure nice of them and that is more reason to go there. I made a right choice with them.

"Indeed. I am impressed by their love for the people of their country even if it seems that they have been forgotten."

Yes, Erevain said something along those lines when I asked her if they really had no problem going on a journey with me.

"There is something I've been curious about, Auros."

Hm?

"Why are you playing a character?"

Oh, that.

"Wouldn't it be more comfortable to just act as yourself?"

Comfortable, yes. Effective and productive? Not so much. If I learned something in my job back in the other world, it was that sometimes one must play the character the image of one's self creates in the minds of others to get good results. And since besto waifu already has a way of acting that fits the bill, I decided to emulate it.

"Not just because you would sound cool role playing as her, right?"

No, of course not, Nerinne. Who do you think I am? The logical reason is the central one of course...AS IF! OF COURSE, IT WAS BECAUSE I WOULD SOUND AND LOOK COOL TOO.

"I knew it."

I mean, the logical reason was there too but come on, that was obviously one of the reasons for me wanting this body!