Chapter 59: Something's happening? Wow, took you long enough.

A day after the arrival of a certain person and her maids to the capital.

Prince Licht walked through the big hallways of the royal palace, followed closely by his personal attendant and bodyguard, Mary.

He had received one worrisome report after the other, to the point that he needed to inform his father, the King.

If one were to look at his face, one would not be able to guess his real emotions, let alone whatever was in his mind.

And what was in his mind were questions, lots of questions, and a certain feeling of suspense.

For he felt as if he were seeing someone preparing to pull the rug from under him and he could not do a thing about it.

Nevertheless, his stride was fast and focused, he did not even bother to give his usual greetings to the people of the castle and they, having known him since he was a child, figured out that something serious had happened, so they did not take it to heart.

Furthermore, they even wished him well.

When he arrived in front of the door of his father's office, he did not announce himself nor knocked, he simply entered.

"Father we have a...!"

In that moment, he was left speechless by the person who was there, someone who was not supposed to be there.

"Ah, Prince Licht. I apologize for yesterday."

Hilde Val, the other advisor of his father.

She was supposed to be in one of the palace's rooms resting and getting medical attention.

And not beside Licht's father.

"But...how? You collapsed yesterday...you were in a lot of pain and none of the medics nor the healers knew what was happening to you...and you are...alright?"

Prince Licht was clearly baffled by the seemingly healthy-looking Hilde and she smiled, letting out a small laugh before she turned to the King.

"My King, I think I should tell him."

The King, who was looking outside his window and had his back towards Licht, nodded.

"If that is what you wish, then do so."

Said the King in an uninterested tone, all as he kept looking at his kingdom through the colored glass of the window.

The roads, the buildings, the movement of the people, everything.

His face certainly looked older even if it had been only five years, for the pressure and stress he endured had taken a toll on him.

Well, anyone would get stressed if they were against a literal God or Goddess in this case.

Having to think of every single step to avoid her undivided attention, let alone her punishment, was tiring...

He knew what he was doing.

He knew that it could be considered heresy to use such sinister power.

What he did not know was that she already knew.

Every single night he told himself that his deeds were for the good of the world.

That he was doing a hero's work by taking the risk upon himself and maybe, just maybe, he would be forgiven by the Goddess after showing the results of all his sacrifices and hard work.

Doing so would get him the recognition he deserved and not only as the husband of...or the one not chosen...

'No...that is not right...'