Chapter 37: Once upon a little brother in the Kyrie Kingdom part 2

"Then this shall be all. Let us all resume our duties."

The tension in the throne room did not leave even as my father made his exit.

But that was to be expected, draconian forces were coming then and that was not going to change.

Still, it was not like fear had paralyzed those at the top of the country, not all. They all had their roles and they stuck to them as everyone started to prepare.

We also had our role but...it was also one that needed us at our best.

And so, I dismissed my subordinates so that they could rest after the long journey we had just returned from.

But they did not do so before relieving some of the tension that was in my heart.

"Where do you think you are going, Kristoff? Leave sneaking around to those who are not walking muscles."

"Please Kristoff, don't make us have to carry you to the forge."

"Wha—?! When did you—?! Oi! Let me go!"

First it was Kristoff and his failed attempt at sneakily running off without paying his dues. One that was frustrated by both Gabriel and Bertiam, as they grabbed him from the back of his neck and dragged him to Roxxagueraffe's forge.

"I'm off, Prince. Do not worry, I shall find Luca."

The second was Allegro leaving to search for Luca.

Yes...sometimes some routine is what the heart needs.

The rest went either to our headquarters or their own homes there in the capital.

Meanwhile, Eric and I went deeper into the palace.

"Let us go, Eric. I want to speak with my Father in private."

"Yes, Prince."

Hm? I seem nostalgic? Is that so, My Lord?

Then I suppose that I cannot help but feel like that even by the remembrance of walking through those halls filled with memories. Just as I felt every time that I returned to the palace.

Many people who worked there would greet me and I would do so in kind as I walked in the company of Eric.

There were many that had been there since I was a child, but there were also others who were recent additions to the palace's workforce.

"The gardens are blooming nicely, My Prince."

"Indeed, they are, we are lucky to have arrived at this time to see them. The people in charge of them should be proud."

That time we even stopped for a moment to admire the sight that were the gardens, for the walls on our right gave way to arcs that let us bask in it.

Colors such as vibrant reds, soothing blues, warm yellows and stimulating purples could be seen in it, along with the expected greens.

And at its center lied a fountain encircled by moonlight roses, my mother's favorite flowers.

They bloom on nights when the full moon adorns the sky and baths the ground with its silvery light, hence the name.

"I can almost see her tending to them..."

"My Prince?"

"Nothing, let us move on."

Those always gave me pause and that time they also turned my inner thoughts into an involuntary murmur.

Nostalgia can do that to a person.