Chapter 41: Once a bloody time in the Kyrie Kingdom part 6

It was strangely cold that night.

That was what many of the lookouts thought while they patrolled on top of the Capital's walls.

Walls that had been built to stop a siege but had never seen action before.

After all, the Kingdom's location was far from the Front and those commanding Draconic Forces tend to get bored before even getting there or get intercepted before coming close to the Kingdom's main cities.

That was why many of the Capital's guards always let out a sigh of relief whenever they heard news of the Front.

'Glad we're far away.'

That was what they would always think.

Such thoughts were natural, of course.

Even if they were still concerned about the war, they could not deny the fact that such distance away from the action gave them a sense of security.

But then again, life is always full surprises.

Some strange, like the weather changing from a warm summer night to one of an imminent winter.

And others...like a certain dreadful silence.

One that was soon broken in the worst way.

They did not know who, but someone shouted, and they were but the first.

"U-UNDEEAAAD! UNDEAD SIGHTED!"

Indeed, that was only the beginning, for more shouts and reports came in from all the gates as they turned into desperate cries.

A chorus of massacre.

"MONSTERS!! M-MONSTERS ARE APPROACHING THE SOUTHEAST GATE!!"

"LIZARDMEN ARE COMING OUT IN DROVES TO THE NORTHEAST GATE!!!"

"WHAT IS THE MILITARY DOING?! WHERE ARE THEY?! WE NEED THEM!!"

"THE KNIGHTS?! WHERE IS THE TWILIGHT SHIELD ORDER?!"

"LE-LESSER DRAGON LORDS!! THERE ARE AT LEAST TWENTY!!! WHY?!"

"HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE GALE ARROWS?! COME ON!! WE ARE DYING OUT THERE!!!"

"THE PALADINS!! WHERE ARE THE PALADINS?!"

"GODDESS PLEASE GRANT US YOUR HELP!!"

"THE SWORDS OF DAWN! DAMN IT! WHERE ARE THEY?!!"

"CROWN PRINCE!! WHY IS THE CROWN PRINCE NOT HERE?!"

If one with sharp hearing managed to filter out that chaos, one would be able hear the cries of those who were unlucky enough to find themselves outside of the Capital's walls.

Those who were either patrolling before everything started or as those who tried to repel such advance with what little numbers they had at hand.

Still, the guards were clearly not prepared for it all.

They were doing their best for sure, but it wasn't near enough.

They could only serve as an obstacle that took mere seconds to be dealt with.

Even then, it was not because they were weak.

No.

It was because their enemies were far stronger than normal.

They were overwhelming.

"Th-They are using some sort of greater enchanted weapons!! Anyone cut or pierced by them is frozen from the inside instantly!!"