Chapter 2

Jonah

Uncle Patrick came to uncle Odell place to meet us to go to the school. I was nervous but confident at the same time. Arriving at the school I saw it was kind of a preppy school which I did not use to but, it is my senior year so one year won’t kill me.

Walking out on the field everything disappeared from me I felt at home. My sanctuary.

“Throw me a ball Jonah, I know you want too,” Patrick says smiling as I smile also. I went over to footballs grabbing one and throwing it with an easy. He caught it and threw it back to me.

“Go long” I yelled as he went running further downfield I threw the ball but he could not catch it. “Sports not for you unk.” I say laughing. “I was a wrestler in school.”

“You got some arm on you young man.” I turned around and followed the voice to see a middle-aged white man standing beside uncle Odell. “Thank you, sir,” I say as I begin to walk towards them.

“I hope you don’t mind me tossing around the football?” “Not at all. I would actually like to see you toss it around some more.” “Yes, sir.”
After about an hour hours of tossing the ball around coach, Willis said for us to come in his office so we could talk.

“Jonah you will be starting as the quarterback. I also see that you are an exceptional wide receiver and you will be playing that position also when we use the other quarterback.” “Yes, sir.”

“You are one of the tops if not the top high school football player in the country. We are lucky to have you. I have talked coach Longlang.” As coach Willis paused I interrupted him. “I’m sorry who?” “Longlang. Well, that is his nickname. He is the head coach. You will meet his first week of practice.”
“Yes sir”

“Now to more important things. I need for you to get a physical done before you can practice or even play and your parents have some documents to fill out.” “Parent” I corrected him. He nodded his head in agreement. “I understand your parents excuse me your parent will be moving here in a few months correct?” “Yes, sir” “Your guardian, for now, will have to sign temporary papers for you to practice but your..” “My mom” “Your mom will have to fill out and complete all documents before you play any games. Is that understood” “Yes sir. She will be here by then.”

“Great also we use to have games start the first week of school, however with school starting earlier in the year and getting out later the football schedule has changed a little bit. Therefore our first game is the second week of school. Also, keep your grades up or your off the team” I nodded my head before speaking. “Yes, sir.” “Actually looking you have excellent grades so this is something we don’t need to dwell on.”
“Do you have any questions for me?” “When do practices start?” “For you and the key players this coming Tuesday then after that in two weeks everybody will be practicing.” We practice twice a day. Will you be able to make those practices.” I looked over to both my uncles as they nodded their head in a ‘yes’ motion. “Yes sir,” I say.

“Well, that’s all for today son. Welcome to the team Jonah you are now a mustang.

He stood and I stood up as well. I extended my hand out to him to shake. “Thank you, sir,” I say shaking his hand. “Stop calling me sir. It's coach Willis.” He said with a smile. “Okay coach Willis. Thank you.”

After leaving the school we went back to uncle Odell’s place. “In a few, we going to see mom. I am sure she would like to see you.” Patrick says. “Do you want to go?” He looked at me inquisitively. I shook my head no. “I would rather wait ‘til mom gets here.” They said ok and said they would be later.

I was laying on the bed when I heard my phone ping indicating I had a text message

MOMMY👸🏽♥️:  how is my baby boy
I smiled looking at the message before quickly responding

ME🏈:  I miss my momma and I can not wait for her to move here.

MOMMY👸🏽♥️: I will be there in a few months and the house will be ready then as well.

ME🏈: I got the starting position mom. When you get here you have to fill out and sign papers for me to play and I need to get a physical done out here. I start practice in a few days.

MOMMY👸🏽♥️:  I will talk to your one of my brothers and find out what is a good doctor for you to go to. These months are going to fly by I promise. Call me tonight.  Love you, Jonah.
Me: I love you, momma.

-          Two weeks later –  

Conditioning training was done for the day and I was tired. “Hey man, you alright.?” I teammate Steve asked me. “Yeah just tired. Conditioning training is always the roughest.” “You got that right. Been meaning to ask you, how do you like Cali thus far?” “It’s pretty cool.”

“Wait ‘til school starts and the honey start coming in.” I and a few teammates watched Steve as he closed his eyes smiling with his hands up. “Y’all don’t understand this player can’t be tamed. They all be looking too good for me to choose one.” Steven says laughing. “My focus is on football at the moment. If I meet a young lady fine but I am not pressed by it.” They nod their heads in agreement to what I said.

“Oh before we on Sunday’s night it is the players night. Which means us football players get together have fun, relax, talk, or whatever. A way to keep the bond strong.” “That’s cool, but I can’t do Sunday’s. That’s mine and my mom’s day. It’s been like that since I was a baby and since I am going to college next year I want to keep our Sunday’s. I will stay in contact with the team and do my part in keeping the bond strong.”

“That’s cool. Wait I Have to ask which dude that picks you up is your dad?” I busted out laughing. “Neither. They are my uncles. My mom is back home tying up loose ends then she will be moving here. I got a few more months without her.” “It is a back to school party at my house the week before school.” Tray another teammate of mine said. “You more than welcome to come through.”

“Thanks, man”
“Hey what’s all the chit chat for?” Coach Nobles asked. “We just finished training and we are waiting on you coach.” Tray said. “Quicksave.”

“Now this year is not going to be an easy year, but we can do this. Last year we lost some games and we are hoping to cut that number down. This is going to be a good time. We have the right coaching staff, the right players and it’s our time.” “Coach” “What Steve.” The coach said in an annoyed tone. “Sir, even though we didn’t do good as a team last year as a captain I would like for us to try and thrive for going undefeated and win the championship,” He said in a serious tone.

“Do the rest of you young men feel this way?” “Everybody nodded. “Coach we have to take it one game at a time but with the new head along with the rest of the coaching staff and can’t forget my man Jonah we really can do this.”

“It is no secret that Jonah is the best high school football player in the country but he can’t carry this team alone. I agree with you, Steve. We can do this but, we must take it one game at a time and all do our part. You guys need to come to practice ready to work when it is game time clear your head go on the field and dominate show no mercy and we will get the championship. The head coach will be here in a week and a half be ready to work harder. Captains Y'all have to do more than the rest of the team. After a pause coach dismissed us.

-          That night - 

I decided facetime my mom she answered on the second ring. After our two and half hour talk, it all came back. How much I missed my mom and was counting the days ‘til she got here.

COMMENT:
VOTE:
SHARE: