Chapter 35

Jonah

                   (right after Simone left the room)

“Do you need anything Grandma?” “No baby. Just come over here.” She padded the bed. I sat on the bed next to her as we heard the loud thunder and lightning crashing in the sky.  “Jonah it’s okay that you haven’t forgiven us and pretending you have for the sake of your mom.”  “Gran-“ “I know on the on a small corner of the surface you have possibly had but deep down I know you haven’t.” “What makes you say this?” “the look in your eyes they are so distant when you see us.” “Why didn’t he want us?”

“Who your father or grandfather my husband?” “Both I guess” “Maybe what I am about to tell you might give you a little closer or it could give you more questions than answers but it's up to you to get those answers if you want to.” I nodded my head. “Your father came to the house about five or six days after she had left. He came looking for yall. My husband told him she left and wanted nothing to do with him. He seemed so hurt. That following Tuesday I went to the school and left him a message to meet me and he did. I asked him if he wanted to know but he was so convinced Simone and had an abortion I don’t know why and he was crushed.”

“wait you meet with him. Why didn’t you tell him or call mom in front of him.” “A small portion of me wanted to but all of me went against it.” “why” “I thought it was for the best” “The best for who?” “I knew your mom had fallen in love with him I could tell by her actions when she said she was pregnant I was so happy but I didn’t want her to be with someone like my husband, her father.” “But he came looking” “He did and why William told him the lies he told I don’t know.” “what lies” “When Gavin came he asked if William knew where Simone was.” “He said no and asked him why did care that Simone was messing around with several other men. He laughed and said do you expect me to believe Simone has been with multiple people. William said she has gone and she is with some guy. He took her to get an abortion lucky you, you don’t have to deal with either. I will never forget the look on his face.” I couldn’t move. She was right now I have more questions than answers.

“I know you hate us more now but I thought I was doing right by you. Tell me how you feeling and don’t try to cover it up.” “I don’t want to talk about this anymore.” “Questions swimming in your head more your hurt has intensified.” I remained quiet. She put her arms around me. “don’t keep things so bottled up inside” “I don’t know how to feel.” “Sometimes you just have to feel the pain and go through the pain just don’t allow it to consume you and you feel it’s best to live in the pain.”

“I just, I just don’t know what to do nor how to feel.” “You will in time. Jonah, you are ready for the answers, but you just don’t want to ask the questions.” “Who do I ask” She laughed lightly. “You know who to go to and what questions to ask. Jonah this is not going to be an easy path but it's yours. You didn’t choose this path the ones who are supposed to be protecting you were the ones who hurt you the most and dropped you in the middle of this.” “Momma was the only one who wanted.” “That’s not completely true.” I looked at her.

“ I’m going to tell you something I never told a soul.” She took a deep breath then started again. “When I found out I was pregnant with your mom I was so happy and William was too. When Simone was born it was over in the night it was 3:18 am when she got cleaned up I held her so close to me. William left to go home and get some things and let Odell and Patrick had a little sister. It was just me and Simone. I remember looking at out the window a few hours later as the sun begin to rise. I promise to always be there for her no matter what.”

Tears spill from her eyes. “I’m not going to lie I was jealous at times of Simone and William relationship. They were so close. She was daddy’s little girl through and through. When Gavin came to take her out for the first time he was happy, yet something was off.” “what do you mean.” “It’s like he was jealous of Gavin. Don’t get me wrong he liked him but he became so enraged that Simone time and heart was becoming open to someone else. One day she came home mad at Gavin, William was on top of the world again then her friend Maddison came over and everything changed. I would ask him about it but he blew me off. Every time Maddison would come he would change then Simone would reluctantly talk or go out with Gavin.”

“Did Maddison have something to do with my mom and him?” “Questions you need to ask. You cant want the answers but not the questions” I kissed her on her head. “It’s going to be alright.” She became silent as I did too. I held my Grandmother. I took out my phone and took a picture of us holding hands. Then one of together. She laid on me and rested. “just stay with me, Jonah.” “I would want to be nowhere else but with your grandma.” 

                          Simone

                      (Current time)

“Leave now before I call the cops on your ass” Gwen said “I ju_” “You're just lying as usual.” I watched Gwen take her phone out and record Maddison. “What are you doing you dumb bitch” “Why are you here.” Maddison froze in place. “Didn’t you say you came here for another man, but aren’t you still married to my brother Gavin?” Her face got red. “He can use this in court. You came to see William right. Simone’s father.” Gwen said with a smile.  “I’m leaving,” Maddison said as she rushed through the doors.

“Thank you, Gwen.” “I was just coming to check on you. also, I am going to get you and your family some food and anything else yall might need.” I just hugged her. “Thank you so much.” “Do you want me to call Gavin,” I paused briefly. “No. its already a sensitive time and Gavin being here might make it worse especially for Jonah.”  “I understand. I will let him know what’s going on though.” “Thank you.”

A while after crying in the bathroom then changing clothes I go back to the waiting where my brothers and William are. “Your girlfriend came,” I said looking dead at William. “Maddison. To be more clear because I don’t know how many you have.” “Simone what are you talking about. Patrick said “Maddison said William called her but I’m the slut. Tell me after all the years look me in the eyes and tell me why I and my son wasn’t good enough even though you were fucking a teenager.”  

He drew back his hand but Odell caught it. “I wish momma would have seen the real you a long time ago.” “She did Odell when he kicked us out but she chose him,” I say with tears down my face. “I never wanted you that’s why it was so easy for me.” He said in a cold tone then sat back down.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: