Chapter 68

Simone

While preparing dinner I was brought out of my thoughts when it was s knock on the door. “Coming” I yelled out Opening the door I see Steve holding flowers mostly sunflowers. “Hey Momma P” “Hey. Jonah isn’t home yet it's just us for now.” “He texts me and said for us to eat without him. He and his uncles are having a heart to heart. I hope you don’t mind it just being us.” “Of course not. One son is better than none.” He smiled. “Oh. I forgot these are you” Steve said handing me the flowers. Before continuing. “I was driving past a cemetery and said you need some flowers.” “Steve, did you steal these from a cemetery?” “Momma P of course not. I would never. I stole them from somebodies yard.” My mouth dropped open.

“Steve” “They had plenty. They not going to miss them three flowers.” “Steve, it's over 20.” “Well they have plenty more.” He waved and said nonchalantly. “What am I going to do with you.” “I don’t care what you do, but please don’t make me eat unseasoned food again.” I laughed. “Please fix us something to drink” He did as I ask. “Momma P can I tell you something.” “Sure you can,” I say as I fixed our plate. Sitting them on the table we sat down and said grace. We begin eating and I remembered Steve never told me what he wanted to say. “Steve, what did want to tell me.”
He dropped his fork and looked at me. “I envy Jonah.” He held up his hand. “Not in a bad way. I just wish I had a mom like you.”

“What’s wrong with your mom. She yells for you at football games” “she does but she also resents me and wants me to be more like my dad. I have never come first in her life. I see how you and Jonah are and I -I would love to have it. My dad, he’s present but mostly absent even in his presence. It gets lonely being in a house with your parents there. We do talk but I can't tell them.” “Why can't you.” “When I try to.- It’s hard to explain. I tried before and they asked would I be happier with different and better parents because what I want they can't give me.”

I sat next to Steve as he had tears in his eyes I held him tight. “Steve you don’t have to be envious of Jonah because of me and our relationship. Think of me as your other mom. You may think your mom hasn’t or can't give you what you need but I see differently. I see a strong and brave young man who is smart, talented, funny, respectful, and has a heart bigger than himself.” “You forgot handsome.” “Both my boys are handsome.” “I asked coach if I should call him daddy now,” I stopped looking at Steve in a state of shock. “What am I going to do you Steve,” I say as I busted out laughing.

                            Gavin

As we walked into the party we were greeted by a woman host. “Good evening Gent-“ her mouth fell open “OMG has anybody ever told you that you look like football star Gavin Langford.” I smiled. “I am him.” She was about to scream. I gave her a hug. “Would you like my autograph.” “Yes,” she said I gave it to her and took some pictures with her. “I am  introducing the guest of honor tonight these two men are with me and these are his sons.” “Yall can go in,” she said in a daze.

We saw William heading our way Jonan, Allen, and I turned around so he would not recognize us. “Why are yall late. It is about time for everything to begin.” “We had to wait for your gift.” “Thanks, yall are the best. I found out I to have someone famous to give me my speech and introduce me. I wish my wife was here to see me retire.” “We can't wait either dad,”  One of his co-workers went up to the podium. “Good evening we are here to honor Mr. William Blackstone to escort him to the front are his two sons Patrick and Odell Blackstone.” Everybody applauded as they walked to the down to the front. Allen, Jonah, and I maneuvered on the other side to take the podium.

As the applause died down he spoke again. “To give the introduction for the man of the hour is no other than NFL quarterback Gavin Langford.” An eruption of applause and screams broke out as I stood behind the podium. Looking right at  William I see all the color drain from his face as a scowl plastered on his face. “Thank you all so much, but tonight is all about Mr. Blackstone.” He trained his eyes on Jonah with an evil sinister look on his face. Before he could say anything I beat him to it.

“Tonight I am going to tell you all about the REAL William Blackstone,” I said with a warm smile.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: