Chapter 4

G

avin

I watched her slowly lift her head ‘til her teary eyes meet mine.

“Gavin,” she said my name barely audibly. I walked closer to her and the closer I got the more tension it became. The pen slipped out of her hand when I got right next to and whispered;

“who is his father.”

Tears spilled from her eyes more and I knew inside of me by her reactions he was mine.

She picked up the pen and finish signing all the documents needed for Jonah. Tears steadily falling from her face she picked up the papers off my desk and handed them to me. “Here. Is this all I need to sign.”

“Answer me now Simone. It’s been almost 17 years and I haven’t seen you since you left. Who is Jonah’s father.”
I walked in front of her putting my arms on both sides of her trapping her on my desk. I looked her I can’t lie she looked beautiful as ever even with tears cascading down her face. Part of me wanted to hold her but a bigger part of me wanted answers and I wanted them now.

“What are you even doing here?” “I’m the head coach. You said you didn’t get married. Why the last name change? Where is Jonah’s father?” “I have to go.” “Soon as you tell me who his father is?”

“Gavin stop.”

“TELL ME”

I yelled her making her jump.

“IT’S YOU. ARE YOU FUCKING HAPPY NOW. JONAH IS YOURS.” 

She said then pushed my arm aside and ran out of my office I was right on her heels but was interrupted by another coach coming in. then it finally hit me.

I have a son. A teenage son.  

-          During practice –

I was watching Jonah as he practiced intensely and I really noticed how much he look like me. My mind drifted back to this summer when I meet him and how he stayed after practice to practice and work out more. How easy our conversations were.

“Jonah” I yelled. He ran towards me. “Yes, coach” “Come in my office please” “Yes sir.” I saw the look on his face “Relax it’s nothing bad.” Relief washed over his face.

“Have a seat.” He sat down I looked dead in his eyes, the eyes that mirrored mine.

“Are you ready for the game tomorrow night?” “Yes, sir I am. Wait did my mom come and fill out the papers?” I nodded “Yes she did.” He smiled. “She told me she was coming.” “She did. Everything is in order.” “Jonah where is your father?”

I watched him tense up. “He’s dead to me” “You meet him before?” “No, I hope I never see him in my life after what he did to my mom. He is dead to me.”
His words stung me and cut me.

“Coach, can I go finish practice now or is it something else you wanted?” “No, you can go back.” He rushed out of my office. I texted coach Willis informing him that I am leaving, that something came up.

Pulling up at my parent's house I went around to the pool house but I couldn’t bring myself to go inside. Gathering up my nervous I finally walked inside. Even after the renovations, her presences was so strong.