Chapter 15

Simone

The ride back to the house was silent. The silence was so loud, yet my son’s pain was louder. Pulling into my driveway before I could turn off the car Jonah jumped out. I watched him unlock the door and run in. I gathered all of my belongs and went into the house.

After a shower, I  went to Jonah’s room knocked on the door. “Come in,” he says sadly. I walked in and saw him laying on his bed with pain all over him. I walk over taking a seat in his chair. I run my fingers through his curly hair.

“You want to talk about it.” “Sundays are our day momma and he just inserted himself in our family time. Not only that he wanted you to sing. You forgave him how, why. Why are you allowing him back in? Letting him hurt you, hurt us again.” “Baby I’m not allowing Gavin to do anything. Was he wrong to stay when you said it was our time, he was but should you and me made a bigger scene and make him leave.” He remained quiet.

“Jonah listen to me. I didn’t know Gavin was here now that he knows about you all he wants to do is fix his mistakes. I am not going to tell whether or not you should or shouldn’t this is your choice.” “Why didn’t you forgive your dad. Why you aren’t trying to repair that relationship. You say me and should but it's my choice, but you never tried why should I. Or is this one of those do as I say not what I do.” Tears begin to stream down my face.

“Your wrong Jonah. I did try.” Tears cascaded down my face harder. Jonah sat up looking at me crying out my pain. “Mom when did this happen.” “I numerous times. After your third birthday, I said I would never try again not after that.” “Momma what happens when you talk to him.”

“The first time I was close to being nine months pregnant with you. I wrote a long letter reminding him how I was his little girl and how much I loved him. That me sleeping with Gavin was a mistake but I would never say my son was and how I was hoping he would be apart of your life and teach him how to be a respectable man. That know what I did hurt him. I didn’t hear anything back from him. When grandma died they came I tried to talk to him. He said he only has two kids. When your third birthday came I sent pictures and videos of you. I heard back from him. I was so happy and excited.” I dropped my head and cried harder. “All the pictures of you I have sent he sent back to cut up with a message that said fuck you whore and the mixed breed soon to be fag bastard you have. You contact my family again I will have him thrown in foster care or worse.” I broke down while Jonah hugged me tightly.

“Momma why didn’t you tell me. I would have understood.” “I didn’t want you to know the kind of man he was. Yeah, Gavin did some messed up things I will agree but when he found about you he tried, not only him but his family. I will never say be best pals with Gavin or have a bond tomorrow this is up to you. I found out the hard way of my father was and I knew him for what 15 years and look at what he did. Gavin missed 16 years of your life and look at what he is doing.”  

Before Jonah could respond we heard a knock at the door. I quickly wiped my face and tried to pull myself as much as possible. “Momma where do you think you're going?” “To see who at the door” “This late. Momma, I’m going.” “If you for one second think I am about to let my child open the door this time of night you crazy.” We heard knocking again. I walked out of  Jonah’s room and down the steps to the front door. “Who is it?” I didn’t hear anything. “WHO IS IT,” I say louder. Jonah rushed past me so quick and open the door ready to hit whoever it was with a baseball bat.

“Heyyyy,” he said dodging the bat.

“Gavin.” i said