Chapter 21

Gavin  

                    (2 weeks later)

“That’s practice for today. Captain’s come to watch the footage from the Timberwolves, our opponents for this week.” I went in my into my office to answer the ringing phone.

“Coach Langford, how may I help you.” “Gavin this has gone on long enough.” “What do you want?” “Can you come by tonight the formal invitations are going out for the ones who RSVP.” “Why haven’t you sent them out already.” “If you bothered to listen to your voicemails or returned messages you would know why I didn’t.” “Fine, I’ll be over later.” Before Maddison could say anything else I hung up the phone.

Leaving out my office going to the room where the footage is being shown. A figure caught my eye. I saw Jonah on the phone as he started to speak.

“Momma I know I’m still in practice I just want to know how grandma is?” It was a pause on his end so Simone could talk. While the thought raced through my mind what’s wrong with her mom. As the memories of seeing her when I was younger played ‘til I heard Jonah again. “I’ll see if Steve can take me over there.” Another small pause. “I will mom. I’ll see you soon.”  He hung and I walked over to him.

“Jonah” He turned to face me. “I’m sorry. I’m on m-“ I cut him off. Don’t apologize. If you need to leave early or come late to practices that’s fine with me.” “Are you sure?” “Your family needs you. I didn’t mean to listen but I didn’t. How is your grandmother.” “You know her.” I smiled I do. Her and your mom look a lot alike. I meet her when I took Simone on our first date.”

“I would like to hear more about that but I have to get to go. I have to ask Steve for a ride.” “Just go get a quick shower, change your clothes. I’ll take you if you don’t mind. We don’t have to talk but just let me take you.” he stayed silent for a few minutes. “Nothing will change Jonah. I am just a coach helping out one of my players.” “Okay,” he said lowly.

The drive was silent until Jonah spoke. “Did you meet William?” “Your grandfather? I-“ Jonah interrupted me. “He’s nothing to me.” I wanted to ask but I know I shouldn’t push this issue. “I meet him when I took Simone out on our first date. Believe it or not, she was a big daddy’s girl. Much like Gwen my sister.” “Yeah, I know her. Her and my mom have been talking and becoming friends.” “How do you feel about that?” “It’s up to my mom.”

After that we went silent then I pulled up in front of the hospital at the same time Simone walked out. “I appreciate the ride. Thanks.” Jonah said then turned to leave. Simone walked toward Jonah as they hugged then he went inside.

“I only brought Jonah. I will tell you as I told him if he needs to leave early or come late that’s fine.” “Thank you, Gavin.” “How is your mom.” “It’s hard to say. She is trying to be so strong for all of us yet she is the weakest.” “That’s where you get it from.” “What” “Your strength” Looking at her smile reminds me of the first time I saw her smile. “If you or Jonah needs anything please let me know. I would say tell your mom I said hello and I’m sending her my best but I’m sure she hates me. I do hope things get better for her.” “She doesn’t hate you, Gavin.” “Well, she is disappointed in me.” “Why you say that?”

“When I came to get you for our first date she said you’re a handsome young man but don’t use your charms to hurt my daughter. Don’t break her heart. And I did that. I broke her heart.” I said looking Simone in her eyes. “It’s fine Gavin. I need to get back inside. I’m sure she will be happy to know you asked about her. Thanks for bringing Jonah.” “He’s our son.” We both smiled. “Yes, he is.” She said as she waved and walked back inside.

Pulling up to the house I blew out a deep breath as I went inside. Walking in the living room I saw Maddison laid on the couch in black lingerie.