Chapter 97

Jonah

Waking up I see Steve looking right at me. “Steve what are you doing here so early.” “I just wanted to say good morning.” “Steve” “My momma is cooking so I did like 80 getting here. She grits with bananas and blueberries mixed together.” “Sure it wasn’t oatmeal.” “Hell, either way, tar isn’t as black as that food was.” I laughed at Steve then got out of bed to do my morning routine.

Walking back in the room Steve was laying on my bed. “I’m proud of you.” He says in a tone I cant recognize. “What” “Even with all the hell that surrounded you, you fought your way out you found the love your dad, your family.” “I’m still trying. You will be okay.” A tear slipped out of his eye. “Steve,” I said barely audible. “I had everything mapped out and now.” He got up off my bed and hugged me. “I’ll see you later he said then left.

Going downstairs I see my parents with a confused look on their faces. “What’s going on with Steve.” “I wish knew” “It can't be the house. He has a room here” My dad says. I send Steve a text but no response. We eat in silence all of our minds on Steve.

“Jonah, do you remember when I said I wanted to show you and your mom something.” “Yes, I remember.” He nodded “I know you're worried about Steve but are you still up for it.” “Yes, I am.” He smiled “Simone”

He yelled moments later momma comes down the stairs ready to go. “After we leave from where ever we are going we are going to see Steve.” My mom says in sterns tone. “Do you th-“ Momma looks at my dad he holds his hands up as momma leaves to go out the door. “Son always remember when you get married happy wife, happy life.” I laugh as we leave out the door.  

Arriving at my grandparent's house. “You had to show us my grandparents place.” “You will see.” He opens the door for my mom they hold hands walking up to the front door. After my dad knocked on the door moments later my grandpa open the door. He immediately engulfed my mom, then me. “We weren’t expected yall to come over today.”

“It’s something I want to show Simone and Jonah but we can stay for lunch then we have to leave.” “My grandbaby.” My grandma descends from the staircase walking over to me giving me a tight hug. “My beautiful daughter in law.” She hugged my mom tightly while saying something in her ear. “My baby boy.” He kissed his mom cheek “You are finally happy” She says with love in her eyes.

The three of us walk upstairs. We stop in front of a door but before he opened it momma goes into the room next to it. “Gavin was this your room” “Yes it was” She looks around in aw. Something caught her eye under the bed she pulled the box from underneath the bed. “NOOO,” he said snatching the box out of her hand. “What is Gavin.” “Nothing”  “Its nothing,” she said in a really and annoyed tone. “Fine its coupons.” Momma blank stared at him. “This is awkward”

He opens the box handing it to momma. I see pictures of a little girl and a woman. “Is she” Before I could finish “Yes that’s her,” Momma is looking at papers with a look I cannot decipher on her face. “I told you I tried to find you.” Taken the papers from her hand I see where he was looking for momma more than one time. He looked all over for us. “Come on.” Putting the papers on a table we walked out and into the other room and my breath hitched and I was speechless.