Chapter 7

S

imone

(that night)

Walking into Jonah’s room I see him listening to music and doing his homework. I walked in and took his earbud out of his ear.

“How is school going for you?” “It’s school momma.” “Do you like it. You have had a little bit to adjust to it.” “The school is fine it’s a person I can do without.” “Gavin,” I say sitting down on his bed.

“Mom I really hate him and he’s telling everybody how proud he is of his son and hopes he breaks his record when he wanted nothing to do with us. He walked away it wasn’t the other way around.” “Baby I’m so sorry had I known Gavin was here I would have gone to another district.”

“It’s not your fault mamma it’s his now he is the father of the year no doubt for the press because he is still in the public eye.” “Do you want to go to another school?”

“What good will running do?” “No good baby boy.” “I don’t want him in our lives.” I nod my head. “You know if..” “Momma please don’t.” “Alright baby. Finish your homework” “Momma” I turned around to look at Jonah. “How do you like your new job I mean I know it is kind of the same nevertheless it is different.” “I like it. People are different here. So far so good.” I say smiling.

“We’re going to be alright momma” “We are. Finish up with your work.” “Yes ma’am,” he says when I walk out of his mom into mine and prepare for work tomorrow.  

{Next day}

“Simone we have a potential client and he would like to meet with you today. I know it is last minute but we just got the call not long ago.” My supervisor says. “I have a tight schedule, however, I can try to fit him in.” “Thanks. You know he asked for you personally otherwise I would have sent someone else.” “Who is it” “I am unsure he did not leave a name. “Thanks.” After that, she walked away.  

Walking into the office space I see a man standing within back towards me looking out the window. I looked down at my watch and noticed I was a few minutes late.

“Hello please accept my apologies, my other meeting ran later than expected and it was some traffic on the commute here,” I say as he turns around with a bright smile. I extended my hand to him.

“Hello, my name is Simone Peterson.” He takes my hand shaking it. “Hello, Mrs. Peterson” “No its Ms. You can just call me Simone.” “Okay, Simone it’s a pleasure. I’m Thomas Langford.” I feel everything in me shut down inside of me. “Are you..” I say lowly. “I am Gavin’s father and from my understanding, you are the mother of my grandson.”  

“Sir, what can I help with you here?” I asked in a shaky tone. “I wanted to meet the mother of my grandson and get some answers.” “Ask Gavin.” “Ms. Peterson. My wife and I just found out and we were cheated out of his life the least you can do is answer a few questions.”

I took a deep breath before continuing. “Please call me Simone and what questions do you have for me.”
“Why hide him and keep him from us? We are his family as well.” “Gavin told me to get rid o my child and I wanted my baby so I kept him.” “Where have you been?”

“My parents sent me away.” “Why” “That has nothing to do with Gavin or Jonah.” He nodded his head. “What is Jonah like?” “Funny, smart, strong, focused, determined he’s just Jonah.” “I would like for the both of you to come to my house for a family dinner in two weeks.” “Sir, I will ask Jonah if he wants to attend, but as for myself I would not attending.”

“Is it a reason why you don’t wish to come?” “Mr. Langford I just found out Gavin was here and it turned my son’s life upside down. I do know he is married and I do not feel that is the right time for me to meet her. Several things to go wrong and  need to protect my son.”