Chapter 36

Jonah

Hours have past and so many questions playing in my mind. I looked at my grandmother thinking about what she was saying and sadly I know deep inside of me she wasn’t telling me everything and her story had holes in it and somethings she possibly added in. I guess she is right if I want answers I have to ask but... my thoughts came to a halt when I heard my phone vibrate. I saw a text from Steve.

SteveI’m here man. And by here I mean I’m literally here.

A small smile graced my face. “What are you smiling at.” I heard my grandma say groggily and faintly. “Your girlfriend,” she said trying to smile. “No. Just a friend he was letting me know he is here.” The question popped into my mind who told him I was here.

“Are you alright grandma?” I saw something I couldn’t comprehend in her eyes. “Do you know what I love about sunrises” I shook my head in a no motion. “wait before you tell me.” I got my phone that is almost dead and took two pictures. “Thank you.” “You don’t need to thank me. May I see your phone.” “Sure I need to run to the restroom.” I gave her my phone then went to the bathroom.  I heard some soft talking or noise I guess the nurse came in to check on her. Washing my hands I walked back out.

I sat back down on the bed I could feel the atmosphere in the room have changed. “Come lay back down,” she said. I laid back down next to her. Placing my arm around her as she laid on my shoulder bringing my other hand around I held her hand in mine. She kissed my cheek. “Did the nurse come in a while ago.” She nodded in a yes motion. Something inside me made me pull and hold her closer to me.

“Baby there are going to come a moment in your life where you are going to scroll down memory lane.” I felt her squeeze my hand before continuing. “Some days are going to be pleasant and sunny whereas other days and other time are going to be extremely cold, windy and pouring rain.” I kissed my grandma on her forehead.

I watched as her eyes focused on the window I then joined her in looking out the window. “Grandma.” “SHHHHH,”  she said. The was silence was talking in such chaos between our emotions.

“After I had your mom and I held her in arms she was a few hours old.” I saw tears escape her eyes. “Jonah” I looked at her. “don’t be scared to find out the truth. Don’t be scared of the pain and mostly don’t be scared of scars and don’t push those away who want to help you heal.” “I” “You will know when it’s your…” she stopped talking and looked back out the window. “Look God is birthing a new day”

 “Look God is birthing a new day”

“The sunrise reaches far and wide. Waking all of the lands. Golden sands on empty beaches, glinting glow on oceans waves. The way God paints the sky each morning to reflect His majesty. The tingle we feel as we watch His Glory spread. Emphasizing the beauty with a silver-misted shroud. When the slightest hint of morning breaks through the longest night.” She paused “When the darkness ends” She squeezed my hand tighter. I fought tears back harder.

“When the faints orange glow begins to transcend. The sky begins to take on some color, then the hues transform until they are multicolor. Crimson, yellow purple and blue. It’s so breathtaking.” She says looking at the sunrise describing the site before us so effortless. “The sun shines through. The rays begin striking the Earth, like ribbons of gold this view is amazing to behold. The glow of warmth accompanies the light. This glorious site.”

“Drowning in the sea of multicolor dancing within the clouds.” I looked down at my Grandma at the same time her eyes meet mine. “You are my greatest sunrise, Jonah.”  

Before I could continue she did. “the golden rays are opening up.” I placed a kiss her forehead as we continued watching the sunrise. A while later I felt her hand go limp.

Suddenly the room became darker even with all the sunlight and lights within the room. “Grandma,” I say softly. The tears I have been fighting back finally escaped. “Grandma I love you please just come back. I promise I will wholeheartedly forgive you just please come back. Please.” I say as I just held her and cried.

About 30 minutes later I laid her back on the bed as I held her hand. “I don’t want to leave you,” I say as I held her again. “Be my sunrise from now on grandma.” I kissed her cheek then released her hand and walked out of the room. When I stepped foot out of the room I felt the air constrict my airways. I rushed back into the room and held my grandmother as I cried.

“I forgive you, grandma,” I say then placed a kiss on her forehead and walked out the room.

As I got closer to the waiting room I starting breaking more. I looked at my mom who was holding Gwen hand’s and Steve was sitting beside her. My uncles who were sitting on each side of him.  

“Momma,” I said, She looked up. I couldn’t say anything but she knew. I ran to her and hugged my mom as we both cried.  

Comment:

Vote:

Share: