Chapter 12

Gavin

{Friday}

Pulling up to my house I see Maddison car in the driveway. ‘why are you home’ I ask myself about my wife. I open the door quietly and hear her on the phone.

“Allen,” She says, this made me step closer and listen more carefully.

“Will you stop. Just give me time to figure all of this out. I will not lose my husband behind all of this.” She stopped talking and I assumed he was speaking to her. Then she spoke again. “If we play this out right nobody will have to know.” She paused briefly. “What’s funny.” Maddie was listening to Allen I could tell by her face she didn’t like what was being said. “Look I said I will do anything you want just don’t tell Gavin and I will handle Simone myself. Just don’t come to homecoming or just come to the game then leave.” I looked Maddison as she removed the phone from her ear then said ‘hello’. I guess he hung up on her. “UGH” she screamed out. I went back to the door opened it and closed it.

“Hey, I didn’t know you would be home,” I said looking at her in her eyes. “Yeah, I got off early to rest up for the game tonight.” I nodded in understanding. “I just came for a quick shower then back to school.” “Do you want to go together? I know you have to be their early but we need to talk, spend time together, and get past this small matter.” “Small matter Maddison. You told me my son was dead. How the hell is that a small matter.” “I didn’t think you would ever see Simone again much less her son.” “It’s our son Maddison. Mine and Simone’s son, not hers.” “It’s not like yall have a relationship and I am sure yall never will.”

“Fuck you bitch.” “GAVIN”  

“GAVIN”

“GAVIN”

I kept hearing Maddison call after me. Instead of my taking a shower I packed some clothes/shoes, got my toiletries, and other things I would need then headed back downstairs.

“Where are you going, Gavin. What I said I didn’t mean for it to come out that way. Can we please talk.” I walked out the door without a word to her.

Jonah

Getting ready for the football I see Steve out the corner of my eye. “Good to have you back on the team man.” I smiled. “It’s good to be back.” “After the game, it’s a party. You coming?” “I doubt it. I have loads of homework plus in the morning going to see my grandma.” “How is she?” “No improvement. I hope some does happen soon.” “I have a serious question?” “Alright.”

I stared at Steve as he looked serious it had me worried. “What is your mom cooking for next week?” “What” “Listen, you and I both know water ain't even safe around you mom. She have shit tasting so good. Like water out of God’s personal pond.” Before I could speak coach Hall came out talking us. Then he came.

“Alright, let's go kill us a Panther tonight.” He said as everyone cheered getting excited and hyped up. I walked out last mentally preparing myself.

“Jonah” I looked over to see him. “Coach” “I just wanted to say one of the defensives players like to sneak under and between players to get to the quarterback. Just pay closer attention and be more aware.” “Thank you. I will.” With that, I walked out with the other players ready to play.

When the game was over I looked in the stands and saw my mom smiling so proud of me. At least I hope she was. Crushing the Panthers 43-12 I was drained yet excited. After getting dressed I saw him still in his office. I walked and knocked on the door. “Come in,” He said.

“I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Saved me from being tackled a few times.” He nodded in a yes motion. “Your welcome.” He came from around his desk. “Jonah you look like you have something on your mind.” I begin having a hard internal battle with myself and both were losing. I just slowly dropped my head and whispered no. As I turned to leave I heard him

“Jonah.” I looked at him. “The party tonight. Have fun but not to much fun.” He smiled. “Thanks but I’m not going. And how did you hear about the party?” “I use to throw parties and attend them all. I know how it goes after the football games. That’s actually the first place I meet your mom, at a party.” “My mom,”  I say shocked. “Yes, I saw her then and at school, I tried to talk to her. She hated parties. I didn’t talk to her at the first party but the second one I did.” “Wait she went to two.” He laughed yes she did but like I said she hated them. She was ready to walk home from the second party. I ended up taking her home. Well after I scared her that is.”

I smiled. “How did you scare my mom.” His smile grew bigger I guess thinking back on the memory. “She was ready to leave I told her I would take her. She said no. Then took off hiding in the woods. I saw her then jumped and scared her. When she found her heartbeat I took her and drove her home.” “Sounds interesting.” “Your mom is someone special.” Before I could say something be continued.

“And I hate myself for everything and not making her feel like she is special.” I nodded. “See you Monday coach.” “Great game tonight” “Thanks” I walked out and saw my mom waiting for me.

“Baby I am so proud of you.” “Momma it’s a party tonight. Want to go?” “You mean can you go?” “No us,” I say laughing. “I won't scare you.” “Get in the car Jonah.” She says laughing.

“Gavin told you” “He did. He told me to have fun but not too much fun then told me about you and your party days.” “ went to two parties and that’s only because my best friend kept begging me to go.” “You talking about Maddison.” I saw my mom smile. “Yes. I want to find her. I want to see her again and of course, I can’t wait for you and her to meet.” She paused still smiling. “I wonder where she is and what she is up to these days.”   

Comment:
Vote:
Share: