Rebel Flesh 3

The Doctor unlocked the door to the acid room, the door beeping ominously and he exchanged a look with Terry before they poked their heads through to peer inside. The Doctor slowly led the way in, holding up their handheld light to try and see more of the dark room as they crept down onto the lower level.

Terry tugged on his hand, nodding down at the suits lined up beside a vat of the acid, and the Doctor peered down to see the shiny metal acid suits. He was so focused on them that he didn't notice the figures dressed in orange jump suits and black boots at the end of the room... but Terry did.

She jerked him to a halt as he unwittingly approached the Gangers, and he looked up in surprise to find himself face-to-face with Ganger Cleaves, Gangers Jimmy, Buzzer, and Dicken standing behind her, all of them with the pasty-looking skin and the colourless eyes.

The Doctor's face brightened and he greeted: "Hello. How are you all getting on?"

"Why don't you tell us?" Ganger Cleaves asked calmly, and the Doctor shrugged: "Well, we have two choices. The first is to tear each other apart. Not my favourite. The second," he smiled, "is to knuckle down and work together."

The Gangers watched him warily, and Terry tried to smile encouragingly – even as her heart sank when she thought about the future – in an effort to win the Gangers' trust. The Doctor also smiled gently at the group and he suggested: "Try to work out how best we can help you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now," the Doctor called as he led the way out, "I know its hard for you to hold your fully human form."

Terry kept glancing back to make sure the Gangers, looking like exact clones of their original counterparts once more, followed behind them while the Doctor continued: "That's why you keep shifting between the Flesh stages, but do try. It'll make the others less scared of you."

"And that'll help you to feel less scared." Terry added reassuringly. "If we all remain calm, we can work out something that benefits everyone."

"Exactly." The Doctor smiled. "Couldn't have said it better myself."

Terry smiled back, hiding a sigh, as she continued to try and project telepathically: 'Be careful, Theta. This isn't going to be as smooth-sailing as you hope it to be. Hint: be careful of doubt.'

But he grinned as he took her hand, her message not having reached him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They arrived outside the dining hall just in time to hear Buzzer hiss at someone: "I worked with Jennifer Lucas, not you."

Terry sighed internally again as she realized they'd found Ganger Jennifer and Rory, before refocusing as they heard Amy say firmly: "Okay, let's not do anything at all-"

"-Until the Doctor gets here." The Doctor said at the same time as Amy as he waltzed into the dining hall.

Terry followed him inside, spotting Amy and Rory leaning forwards on opposite sides of a dining table, while Ganger Jennifer sat beside Rory and stared beseechingly at the remainder of the crew, who were opposite her and wearing similar looks of distrust. This was going to be a challenge then.

Terry tensed reflexively as the Gangers walked in behind them while Doctor called: "Hello."

The crew stood up, Jimmy's jaw dropping while the others stared in terror as their identical counterparts came to a halt behind the Doctor and Terry, staring back at the original crew with uncertainty.