Vincent and the Doctor 3

Terry placed the tray of food she and the Doctor had put together, carefully avoiding the sunflowers Amy had arranged all over the porch table, while the redhead herself sat on a seat across from Vincent's house.

Both of them looked up as they heard the Doctor bound back down the steps from Vincent's upstairs bedroom, and the two women smiled as Vincent himself appeared in the doorway, scruffy and with severe bedhead.

The painter paused in his bedroom doorway, peering down blearily through the bright sunlight and at the strange sight before him.

Terry had taken a seat beside Amy, smiling up at Vincent in greeting as the Doctor strode up beside the short Time Lady, leaning one hand on the table beside her as he stood beside her fondly. Amy herself, meanwhile, sat beaming at the porch table, which was decorated with dozens and dozens of sunflowers arranged in various pots, baskets, crates, and vases.

Vincent blinked in surprise, and Amy called cheerfully: "I thought I'd brighten things up to thank you for saving me last night."

"Ah." Vincent said, looking around at all the flowers, while Amy added meaningfully: "I thought you might like, you know, possibly to perhaps paint them or something? Might be a thought."

Terry chuckled, while Vincent shrugged as he commented while examining the sunflowers: "Yes, well, they're not my favourite flower."

"You don't like sunflowers?" Amy asked in disbelief, her jaw actually dropping in shock, and Vincent corrected: "No, it's not that I don't like them. I find them complex. Always somewhere between living and dying. Half-human as they turn to the sun. A little disgusting."

The Doctor and Amy looked at the sunflowers, seeing his point, while Terry commented lightly: "But, that is what makes them interesting."

She casually nodded at the flowers near Amy, and Vincent nodded as he said slowly, looking at the flowers beside Amy's face thoughtfully: "I suppose you're right; indeed, they are a challenge."

"And one I'm pretty sure you'll rise to." The Doctor answered with a wry grin.

He then added as he waved Vincent down: "But, moving on, there's something I need to show you."

"After breakfast." Terry corrected, and the Doctor added quickly: "Right, after food. And don't worry, I didn't let Terry touch the eggs."

"I messed it up one time." Terry argued, while Vincent blinked again before slowly making his way down towards them.

"Yes, but you managed to blow up the entire kitchen." Amy pointed out, and Terry answered in the most mature manner possible: she stuck out her tongue at the redhead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After breakfast

The group gathered inside Vincent's house once more, Vincent holding a printout of the Krafayis that the Doctor had printed from his gadget.

"That's him." Vincent confirmed darkly. "And the eyes, without mercy."

"This is a creature called the Krafayis." The Doctor explained. "They travel in space."

Vincent glanced at the Doctor briefly, before looking back at the printout while the Doctor continued: "They travel as a pack, scavenging across the universe. And sometimes one of them gets left behind. And because they are a brutal race, the others never come back."

Amy started in shock, but Terry just listened grimly as the Doctor went on: "So, dotted all around the universe are individual, utterly merciless, utterly abandoned Krafayis. And what they do is, well, kill, until they're killed. Which they usually aren't."