Evolution of the Daleks

Terry and the Doctor exchanged looks before they slowly began to sneak backwards and away behind a large piece of equipment as Dalek Sec pointed at the small group of humans and ordered: "These humans will become like me. Prepare them for hybridisation."

The pigmen instantly moved to grab the humans, following orders, and Martha shouted as she was dragged forwards: "Leave me alone! Don't you dare!"

Suddenly, 'Happy Days are Here Again' began playing loudly in the lab, and the humans, Daleks, and pigmen all looked around as one in confusion.

"What is that sound?" Dalek Sec demanded, and the Doctor poked his head around from where he and Terry had hidden.

"Ah, well, now, that would be me." He admitted sheepishly as he walked out, setting down a small radio on the nearby lab table as he clicked it off again. "Hello. Surprise. Boo. Et cetera."

"Doctor." Dalek Sec hissed as he narrowed his eye at the Time Lord.

"The enemy of the Daleks." Another Dalek added angrily – or, it would if it could express emotions.

"You know."

The room's occupants – except the Doctor - swiveled to look as Terry spoke, stepping out from her spot, casually holding a red apple. Where she had gotten the apple from, Martha had no idea; but she had long since stopped questioning things when it came to the Doctor and Terry.

"They did say an apple a day keeps the Doctor away." Terry continued musingly as she examined the apple before looking at the Daleks. "Maybe you lot should try it, and see if it works."

She tossed the apple at the Daleks, hitting one on its eyestalk.

"Exterminate the enemies!" The Dalek cried angrily.

A flash of pain shot through Terry's head, and she winced; when Sec called sharply: "Wait!"

The Doctor raised a brow, while all the Daleks paused at Sec's order and Terry shook her head to clear it.

"Well, then." The Doctor commented as he stared at Sec. "A new form of Dalek. Fascinating..."

He stepped forwards, coming up before Sec so he could stare with narrowed eyes at the new Dalek as he finished darkly: "And very clever."

Sec had his eye narrowed in a similar fashion as he too eyed the Doctor while he informed the Time Lord: "The Cult of Skaro escaped your slaughter."

"How did you end up in 1930?" The Doctor demanded, and Sec replied shortly: "Emergency temporal shift."

"Oh," the Doctor chuckled, "that must have roasted up your power cells, huh?"

He looked around at the Daleks, still smiling mirthlessly as he continued: "Time was, four Daleks could have conquered the world."

He nodded up at the large lab's ceiling as he continued: "But instead you're skulking away, hidden in the dark, experimenting."

The Doctor stopped, looking at each of the Daleks before he finished as he looked back at Dalek Sec: "All of which results in you."

"I am Dalek in human form!" Dalek Sec answered defiantly, but the Doctor just stared at him as he challenged: "What does it feel like?"

As the Dalek hesitated, the Doctor goaded: "You can talk to me, Dalek Sec. It is Dalek Sec, isn't it? That's your name? You've got a name and a mind of your own. Tell me what you're thinking right now."

"I..." Dalek Sec began uncertainly, "feel..." he turned away, "humanity."

The Doctor's brows rose in surprise, and he was actually stunned to say hopefully: "Good. That's good."