The Almost People 3

Terry leaned against the Doctor as they sat with the other Gangers in the dining hall, feigning boredom while she was actually hiding her irritation. Irritation at Rory for his idiocy.

"It's not his fault." The Doctor tried, sensing Terry's mood, but Terry pointed out in annoyance: "No, it was. This is all because he tried to be someone he's not."

"He's always been brave." The Doctor found himself defending the Roman, and Terry corrected: "Oh, I know that. And I admire that. But this? This happened because he stupidly thought he could be like the Doctor."

"What?" The Doctor frowned, and Terry sighed: "He's still insecure. He will always be insecure, to some degree, and it's what drives him to act irrationally at times. Like now."

And it was at that wonderful moment that Ganger Jennifer dragged Rory into the dining hall, Ganger Cleaves following slowly behind them. Terry glanced at the latter, noting the distressed expression and the worry lines on the Ganger's face, while Ganger Jennifer let Rory go in the middle of the room.

Rory turned on her, saying angrily: "You created another Ganger just to trick me. You tricked me. When I found you, you were both Flesh and you tricked me into trusting you!"

He slammed his fist onto a table but Ganger Jennifer just smiled as the other Gangers exchanged uneasy and sad looks.

Rory took a deep breath before he said shakily: "Jen's dead."

He looked up and shouted: "Isn't she?!"

"She's gone, Rory!" The Doctor snapped, keeping up his act even as he counted in his head. "Gone."

"It's closing in." Terry said anxiously, and he squeezed her hand reassuringly as he answered: "We still have a little more time."

It was at that moment a voice called over the intercom: "Shuttle. We're dropping down on our approach. Stand by for evac."

Ganger Jennifer turned to look at Rory as she stated firmly: "The humans will be melted, as they deserve, and then the factory will be destroyed. Once we get to the mainland, the real battle begins. The humans won't stand a chance."

She turned her eyes to the Doctor and Terry, and she stated almost imperiously: "You're one of us, Doctor, Terry. Join the revolution."

She pointed at them, smiling, and they watched her impassively while Rory cried: "I've got to go and get them out."

The Doctor suddenly stood up, turning and shoving Rory back. He stumbled, staring at the Doctor in complete shock as the Doctor stared back at him, sliding over to join Ganger Jennifer.

"What-?" Rory began, before his eyes bugged as Terry stood and stepped over to stand beside the Doctor, her actions clearly showing her siding with him and the other Gangers.

"Doctor, angel." He begged, his voice cracking. "We can't just let them die."

The Doctor just checked his wrist watch, and he said a little ominously: "Ring, ring."

There was nothing else except Rory's desperate cry: "Doctor! Terry, please, stop him!"

"You got the timing wrong?" Terry asked the Doctor incredulously, and he snapped: "Well, it's a little hard to organize the exact timing for a child's phone call."

"I told you to set it for one minute before you originally wanted to. What happened to, 'it's a simple task'?" Terry countered, and he retorted: "Can't you just once let it go?"

"Would you like me to?" Terry challenged and he actually pouted a little.

"Doctor!" Rory shouted, dragging the Time Lords back to the present, and the Doctor eyed his watch as he repeated in the ominous tone: "Ring, ring."