The God Complex 3

Terry slowly came to, blinking away the white spots from her vision to see the empty chair where Howie had been.

"Oh, no, no, no, no!" She moaned, shoving herself up onto her feet unsteadily.

"You!" She pointed at Gibbis, who flinched from where he was cowering in the corner by the doorway. "Where'd Howie go?!"

"He got away – I tried to stop him!" Gibbis said defensively, but Terry snapped: "Oh, save it for later!"

She took off running, shouting: "Howie?! Howie!"

But he was nowhere to be seen, and she muttered: "No, no, come on! Howie!"

She had to save the young man, the boy who had gone to speech therapy to overcome a massive stammer, the boy who had proven that he could achieve great things, things that might not save a universe but could change a life, could change lives. His life, his mother's life as a proud parent, his mother who was waiting for him...

"Howie!" Terry shouted, but she was starting to despair that she would get to him in time. It had been too much time already. Time...

As Terry was running, she suddenly slowed down, turning her head very slowly. Her every cell drawn to a door marked number 13.

"...Howie?" She murmured, even as she reached out a hand towards the doorknob.

And hesitated.

"No." She muttered. "I mustn't... I don't even know what would be in there."

But the urge was strong, and without fully realizing it Terry had opened the door. Her eyes went wide, and she slammed the door shut quickly, leaning against it shakily.

"What?" She whispered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry ran through the corridors, calling: "Rita! Doctor!"

"Terry?"

She skid to a stop and popped her head over the stair railings to see the Doctor standing beside Rita on the stairs, about a flight down from where she was. Good, she wasn't late then.

"Angel, are you all right?" The Doctor demanded, hurrying up as she came rushing down. "How did Howie escape?"

"It was like his ropes just suddenly fell off." Terry explained. "I think it must have been the same mysterious 'warden' who brings people here – and the same thing that set Joe loose, too."

He nodded, while Rita looked confused.

"Wait, sorry." Rita interjected. "You already know Howie's dead?"

Terry hesitated before nodding slowly, and Rita asked: "How?"

"Easy, he escaped, and she's found us clearly not looking for him." The Doctor answered swiftly.

"No need to tell her more things that will scare her." He added to Terry telepathically, and she replied: "I agree. And, Doctor – behind you."

The Doctor turned, his eyes falling on the CCTV camera and a small smile appeared on his face.

"Got you, Mr. Minotaur." He murmured, before looking at Terry. "Can you stay here?"

"Keep an eye on everyone?" He added to her meaningfully, probably talking about Gibbis, who had proven so self-preserving, he was willing to sacrifice everyone else if it meant he could live.

Terry nodded. "Of course. Use the sonic to come find me when you're done."

The Doctor grinned, kissing the top of her head before running off. Terry turned to Rita as the woman slowly approached the security camera and murmured: "Praise... him."