Midnight 2

The driver's door opened, and Sky pounced on the Doctor instantly as he climbed out, demanding: "What did they say? Did they tell you? What is it? What's wrong?"

"Oh, just stabilising." The Doctor answered with a light smile. "Happens all the time."

"I don't need this." Sky answered, shaking slightly in what appeared to be anger... but her voice was shaking. "I'm on a schedule. This is completely unnecessary!"

"Back to your seats, thank you." The hostess called, trying to restore order.

"Er, is there any way the driver can come in here with us?" Terry asked abruptly.

The Doctor shot her a quick look, while the hostess said with a hint of impatience: "I'm sorry, miss, but the driver cannot leave his station."

"I'd feel so much better if they were here." Terry pressed, but the hostess said politely but firmly: "Please return to your seats."

"Doctor, who was the driver with?" Terry asked, trying not to look suspicious and he caught on.

"Hm? Oh, the mechanic, Claude." He said lightly, as though Terry didn't know.

"Mechanic in training, that is." The Doctor added, and Terry said swiftly: "Well, at least can the mechanic come in here and see if nothing's wrong in here?"

"Please, miss, the driver and the mechanic are busy with their own duties." The hostess answered a little sharply now, starting to sound aggravated. "Now, everyone, back to your seats, thank you."

She turned and headed into the driver's compartment herself, and Terry bit her lip while the Doctor and Sky sat down.

"Angel, what's wrong?" The Doctor asked urgently, when Dee Dee tapped his shoulder and whispered with a frown: "Excuse me, Doctor, but..."

He glanced back, and Dee Dee pointed out: "They're micropetrol engines, aren't they?"

"Now, don't bother the man." Hobbes scolded, but Dee Dee pressed as she peered over the top of her spectacles: "My father was a mechanic. Micropetrol doesn't stabilise. What does stabilise mean?"

"Well. Bit of flim-flam." The Doctor answered in a carefully light tone. "Don't worry, they're sorting it out."

"So it's not the engines?" Hobbes asked in quiet alarm, standing slightly to lean in closer to the Doctor in fear.

"It's just a little pause, that's all." The Doctor tried to allay the man's fear, but Hobbes demanded worriedly: "How much air have we got?"

"Professor, it's fine." The Doctor tried to reassure, when Val called sharply from her spot across the shuttle: "What did he say?"

"Nothing." The Doctor answered quickly, while everyone started to listen in.

"Are we running out of air?" Val demanded, just as the hostess returned to their compartment.

The hostess blinked in confusion at the commotion, while Hobbes tried to say; "I was just speculating-"

But it was too late, and Biff called loudly and sharply to the hostess: "Is that right, miss? Are we running out of air?"

"Is that what the Captain said?" Val added demandingly, while Jethro closed his eyes in exasperation and Terry's head dropped forward with a sigh.

"If you could all just remain calm-" The hostess began, but Val shouted at her: "How much air have we got?!"

"Mum, just stop it!" Jethro interjected, and the hostess added firmly: "I assure you, everything is under control."

"Well, doesn't look like it to me." Biff snapped, as Val accued as she looked at Hobbes: "Well, he said it."