9

Samuel's POV

"Are you busy again tonight?" Chan asked me while we were sitting outside on the sidewalk watching the others play. I had wanted to go outside during lunch, so Chan joined me. It was getting boring inside already, and it was still the beginning of the year.

"Yeah, sadly. I would so much rather be hanging out with you." I stated, but I don't think he knows how much I truly mean that statement.

Mom and Dad have been fighting a lot. I mean, it's always been going on, but now it's gotten worse. Everytime Chan came over they would separate onto two different sides of the houses, and then be silent at dinner. But now it's gotten so bad I'm afraid they won't be able to keep it under control even if he comes. And I can't do that to Chan.

"I'm sure your time will free up soon and then we can hang out again. Hey! If you think you can put up with my hyungs, you're always welcome instead of whatever you're doing." Chan smiled at me, and I smiled back. Going to his house could be a nice escape. But I also don't know if that would give Mom and Dad more excuses to fight.

"It's worth a try to ask."

...

"Mom, can I please go over to the Choi's house?" I asked, playing with the hem of my shirt. My homework was done along with my chores. So unless we have to go somewhere, there's no reason for me to not be able to go.

"Sure. Just remember your manners and be home after dinner but before eight." I nodded and quickly hugged her before running out of the house. I haven't been over to the Choi's house in a while, so I was super excited. I held up my fist and knocked on the door, causing someone to yell out. I probably shouldn't have invited myself over, but at this point I don't think anyone will mind. Hopefully.

The door swung open, and Joshua hyung smiled at me.

"Hey, Samuel." He greeted, and I bowed slightly. Joshua hyung just messed up my hair, before moving aside to let me into their house.

"Samuel!"

"Chan! Samuel's here!"

I cowered at the sudden attention from everyone who was in the living room, and I sighed in relief when Chan came running out of his room. He looked around for a second before noticing me.

"You got to escape?" I nodded, and he motioned for me to follow him into his room.

"No fair! You always get Samuel!" Jun hyung yelled teasingly from the living room, and Chan just shook his head with a smile on his face.

"How long do you get to stay?" He asked while shutting his door to keep everyone out. I took a seat on his bed, and he pulled a chair over from his desk to sit so we were facing each other.

"Until eight, but I can leave anytime after dinner if you want me gone." I replied, and Chan made a face as if I was crazy.

"Want you gone? If anything the hyungs will go over and ask if you can stay forever." I laughed and Chan smiled brightly. Staying forever would be nice.

"Why don't I call you hyung?" I asked, and Chan just shrugged.

"Because we've known each other forever and we're only eleven months apart. There's no point in you calling me hyung. Why did you ask?" This time I  shrugged.

"My Dad brought it up one night because he thought I was being rude." Chan tilted his head in confusion, but it quickly turned into a smile.

"You're just fine, Samuel." We went silent for a second while I let that sink in. Chan was honestly one of the most peaceful and comforting people to be around that I knew. No wonder his brothers love him so much.

"I heard Samuel was here?" Jeonghan hyung asked while poking his head into his room, and he smiled brightly when he saw me. I waved back with a smile on my face, and Jeonghan hyung stepped into the room.

"They're upset you stole Samuel." He teased Chan, and Chan just shrugged.

"Oh well, hyung. Samuel is mine. Unless of course you want to hang out with everyone?" Chan asked while turning to me, and I shrugged. I didn't mind whatever we did, as long as it took my mind off of home.

"I'll do whatever you want, Chan." I answered, and that made Chan smile.

"He's mine then!" Chan yelled out, and I was a bit confused until I heard some of his other hyungs from outside the door.

"No fair, Channie!"