chapter 13

We quickly took back our hands and looked at each other with a knowing look which has a promise of let's have fun later.
"hello myself Margaret I'm the current secretary of Mr. James Miller", she said with elegance and raised her hands for a handshake.
I too shook her hands with mine and told, "hi I'm Priya I'm here for an interview for the post of secretary", I told the last line with uncertainty.
"I know what you are confused about. You see I'm already so old and I too want to spend my time with my family especially with my grandchildren", she said with a smile, in particular she had love in her eyes while mentioning 'grandchildren'. Oops, I miss my grandma. Then she continued, "that's why I'm going to retire. Oh yeah, Mr. James is waiting for you let's get you inside", she said and started to walk towards the big grand room. When I turned I saw Emily gesturing 'all the best' by showing thumbs up in both hands to me I too mouthed 'thank you' to her and quickly followed after Mrs. Margaret.

She knocked on the door in return 'come in' heard from inside the door.
"you may get in Miss. Priya", she said and opened the door for me.
"thank you", I said and went inside. There I saw a man around 50's sitting in the room with a file on his hand. "take your seat miss. Priya" he said pointing at the opposite seat.
I said a quick thanks and sat in the seat with a confident posture.
"I saw your profile", he said and placed the file on the desk and said "it's impressive" with a serious face. So that file is mine ah.
He continued, "gold medal, best outgoing student, 1-year experience in a reputed company, good performance... Everything is good. My question is why you suddenly planned to work in New York ?"
"thank you for your appreciation, sir. But the answer for the last question is little personal but other than that I assure you that I didn't come to the US with any black mark in my professional path. You can believe me sir", I said with seriousness without losing eye contact with him. He had dark green eyes and his facial features feel so familiar but I can't make it out clearly.
"OK, I believe you, Miss. Priya. You can start your job today. You have a training period for 3 days under Mrs. Margaret. I'm sure she should've told you her reason for quitting"
"yes sir she told"
"after 3 days you can continue her job but if I'm not satisfied with your job I'll definitely fire you," he said with seriousness.
"yes, sir. I'll do my best" I said totally ignoring his threat.
He laughed hearing my response.
Seeing my confused face, "your the first one who is not intimidated by me other than my family members", he said with a smile. That's the first smile he is giving to me.