"Why did I know this was going to cheer you up?"

Driver: Alexander Albon

Requested by: jeannetx

Plot: Comforting him after his fp3 crash in China

Being part of the world of Formula One wasn't an easy life. You, however, loved it, especially because it enabled you to spend more time with your boyfriend, the Toro Rosso driver whose car you worked on every race weekend. 

"Hello there darling." He placed his hands on your shoulders as you were working on something. "How's my girlfriend doing?" You looked up. 

"Really?" You questioned. "Because that is what your girlfriend wants to hear. Hell, you would get a random engineer down with it!" Alex laughed and you stood up. 

"I'm sorry, how is my beautiful girlfriend doing." You hugged him. 

"I'm fine, as long as you make sure we have no extra work it will stay this way." Alex chuckled. 

"I wasn't planning on ruining the car if that's what you're after." He kissed your cheek. "But what were you working on?"

"Just a small tweak." Alex nodded. "Ready for today?" He nodded. "Shouldn't you be putting your suit on considering the third free practice is about to start?"

"Well, it is nice to see you too." You shook your head. 

"Sometimes you are impossible."

"Says who." You pushed him towards the back of the garage before returning to the car and chatting with another engineer about what you were working on. Alex looked at you and smiled. The way you had tied your hair up in a bun and had a bandana wrapped around your head for the small strands of hair that always fell out of your bun. You had your suit tied around your waist, a tight short-sleeved white shirt tucked into it. Around your neck shimmered the silver necklace Alex had gifted you for your birthday. You talked to the engineer without looking up from the car making sure you wouldn't mess anything up. 

You had met Alex thanks to her job. She had been an engineer in one of the lower Formula teams before moving up to Toro Rosso. It was only a coincidence that it was the team Alex was to make his debut in the highest branch of single-seater racing. When that happened the two of you had been dating for two and a half years already but got even closer thanks to now also working closely together. 

"You should really get changed now instead of staring at your girlfriend's arse." Again Alex was shoved in the right direction. A while ago he would have been ashamed to be caught looking at you but not anymore. They knew he loved you and couldn't stop looking at you, especially not when you walked around looking like that. Luckily for you and Alex everyone had been very understanding and there were no arguments about what to do with the relationship between the two of you. 

Twenty minutes later, Alex was in the car and via some screens, the engineers followed his and Daniil's actions closely. They were doing great, both being in the top ten and driving solid lap times. You and another engineer were talking about some possible small tweaks to make the car even faster when everyone in the garage gasped. You quickly looked at the screens and put on your headphones to hear if he was alright. You didn't care about the way the car was looking, you just wanted to hear three little words.

"I am okay."

"Okay guys, we've got work to do!" Everyone got up from their seats and put them away. It took a little before the car would be back, so when Alex walked into the garage, you walked to him. 

"Are you sure you are okay?" The look in his eyes showed he was broken and disappointed in himself. 

"We were fighting for top ten spots. I blew it. Have you seen the car? You will in no way be done with it on time for qualifying. I will have to start from the back of the field tomorrow. I have thrown away a lot of points because of it."

"You don't know..." 

"Please, Y/n. Not now. Besides, you have to fix the car." He nodded towards the wreck that was left behind you. You looked at the part falling off of it as it was placed on the ground in front of the garage. You were about to say something else to Alex, but he had disappeared already. You sighed. If you would get a small break you would talk to him. 

You and the engineers did their best to get the car back for qualifying, but the gap between the crash and the start of the first qualifying session was just too small. You were not finished when the lights turned green. It took a whole lot longer than the start of qualifying even. 

Late that night you got back to the hotel. All you wanted to do was take a nice hot shower as your whole body ached and fall asleep. However, you knew the night wouldn't go that way. You knew you had to talk to Alex and you knew the two of you would argue about who was right. And you were right about realizing the night would be just as exhausting as the day. 

"Alex, for goodness sake, things like this happen. Even the best still crash, they wreck their cars. It was just an accident. The car is ready for tomorrow and you are just going to show everyone how good you are at overtaking."

"It was my fault and thanks to me you have had to work probably harder than you guys could to get the car done before the deadline. You guys worked as hard as you could to get the car ready for qualifying, knowing it was impossible!"

"Because we wanted to give you a car to show what you can do in one single lap. But we knew that even if we wouldn't be able to get the car done on time you would show it tomorrow. Everyone trusts you and knows what you are capable of."

"But..."

"No more buts. I'm going to take a shower and then I am going to sleep."

"But..." 

"Alex!" 

"Fine." You walked to the bathroom and took off your clothes. You peeked around the door looking at Alex as he was still moping. 

"Are you coming or not?" He started to grin and didn't know how fast he could get off the bed and into the bathroom. "Why did I know this was going to cheer you up." You laughed as you stepped into the shower cabinet, letting the warmth of the water embrace you. Alex stepped in as well. 

"Maybe you know me a little too good." He grinned before gently pressing you against the wall. "I love you."

"I love you as well, my little champ." 

Taglist: 
Formulalbon