"Call an ambulance!"

Requested by: Anonymous
Driver: Charles Leclerc

It was a lovely day in your hometown, Monaco, where you had recently moved to and you decided to go for a walk. It was cold, really cold, but because of the low humidity, you loved it. Your breath came out like a puff of clouds and it always made you chuckle.

Carefully you walked around, fully aware of the fact there were patches of ice on the pavement every now and then.

Someone who was not aware of the cold or at least not the ice was the automobilist who was nearing you. You crossed the road, but the driver lost control over his car on one of the ice patches and moved to the other side of the road, hitting you.

Charles had had the same thought as you had. Only he went for a jog, after all, he needed to keep his body in shape. He had seen the driver lose control and watched in horror as he saw how you rolled over the front of the car and landed on the floor, not moving and barely breathing.

"Call an ambulance!" He yelled dropping onto his knees by your side. He could feel a weak pulse and saw you breathing, so at least that was okay. He looked for any visible injuries. Your leg was twisted, so he knew that was broken, but what he was worried about more was your neck. He stabilised it and then looked up at the driver who was staring at you in shock.

"Have you called an ambulance?" He asked, but there was no response. "Have you?!" Slowly the driver shook its head. "Call one for goodness sake! She could die if she has some serious injuries!" He watched how the driver clumsily got its phone out of its pocket and then dial the alarm number.

"Hi, I need an ambulance..." Charles didn't listen to the rest of the conversation, knowing that at least an ambulance would actually arrive at that point.

For a moment, he let go of your neck and took off his coat, knowing very well you could go into shock.

He had once taken a first aid course and past it with flying colours so he knew how to take care of you.

"They're coming." Charles gave a firm nod and checked your pulse again. It was faint but stable. Finally, the ambulance arrived and Charles let you in the care of the paramedics. He, however, wanted to know whether you would be alright, so he hopped into the ambulance with you and stayed in the waiting room until the doctor had more information about you.

"Are you her boyfriend?" The doctor asked and Charles shook his head.

"I'm just someone who happened to walk by when it happened. I just want to make sure she is alright."

"That's very considerate. You've done good work. She has a small fracture in her spine, just above her shoulders, so it's a good thing you stabilised her." Charles nodded.

"Will she be okay?"

"She should be thanks to your fine work. She has a broken leg and a concussion as well, but nothing life-threatening or permanent damage." Charles felt a weight fall from his shoulders. "So you have no idea who she is?"

"No."

"That's a shame. She didn't have any ID on her, so we have no clue to who she is and who her family is." At that moment a nurse called out the doctor's name.

"She's regained consciousness." Charles who had been listening piped in.

"Can I see her?" The doctor nodded. "We want to do some further tests, but after that, you can see her."

Fifteen minutes later, Charles found himself standing outside your room. His heart was beating rapidly and he had to take a deep breath in order to sort himself out. He knocked and you flinched at the sound. Your head was pounding, even though you had had a serious dose of painkillers, you still ached all over.

"Yeah." You said and when Charles entered you frowned. "Damn these painkillers." You groaned and closed your eyes. Charles chuckled.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because fucking Charles Leclerc is standing in front of me that isn't real. I mean, why would he ever be visiting me in the fucking hospital. Damn, now I'm talking to him." Charles laughed.

"Because I might want to know how the girl is that I watched getting into an accident and then saved her life." You opened one eye, still seeing the handsome Monegasque in front of you.

"Oh my goodness, it's really you?!" You gasped.

"Yeah, it's really me." He took your hand. "See in the flesh." You covered your mouth as you started to tear up.

"I love you!" You mumbled, the painkillers stopping you from realising how strange that must sound. Charles had been your favourite driver ever since he had joined the Prema team, which had been three years ago.

The tears started to flow down your cheeks and Charles quickly wiped them away as his thumb ran circles on the back of your hand.

"Hey, don't cry. It's okay." He pressed a kiss on your knuckles as you repeatedly told him how much you loved him. "I love you too." He said, hoping it would calm you down. He did have - after saving your life - a weak spot for you. It was strange like he somehow bonded with you while holding your neck to make sure that at least wouldn't kill you.

"Did the doctor call my family?" You asked.

"He was going to try. Or at least, that's what he told me." You nodded.

"Can you stay until they are here?" Again Charles smiled at you and he nodded.

"Of course, darling, as long as you want me to stay." He continued to run his thumb over your hand and he laughed at your occasional declaration of love.