When you love someone

Driver: Max Verstappen
Requested by: Islotegraaf13

Plot
: Him doing something with his child

Y/s/n: Your son's name
Y/d/n: Your daughter's name

Max sighed deeply. Things were not going his way. Not when talking about racing, things with the team were going great. They were leading the championship and were getting wins like simple collectables.

No, things were going poorly in his personal life. Since you had said you didn't love him anymore, things around the house had changed rapidly. The fights that were starting to get more and more usual, intensified and your children didn't know why.

Now, on top of everything else, your eldest son, was starting to get some attitude. You had been called up by his teacher. Y/s/n had gotten into a fight, was no longer paying attention in classes and Max had told you he got home late. You had tried everything to make him get onto the right path again but nothing seemed to be working and it was starting to get frustrating. Little did you know your son had no longer respect for you because he had overheard you and Max fighting one day, the one fight you had told Max you no longer loved him. He had seen his father's heard break in front of his eyes and he had watched you looked at him coldly, no feeling of empathy or whatsoever.

"Y/s/n..." Max knocked on the door of his room and then walked in, you had told Max to give it a try, you no longer could manage y/s/n anymore. "We need to talk..." Y/s/n laid on his bed and groaned as he rolled onto his stomach. He was in no mood to have a talk with his father.

"Shouldn't you be training or something? I mean, you have been doing a lot of that since your fights with mom." He plugged his earphones into his phone. "Besides, I have a lot of homework to do." Max felt like Y/s/n had just punched him in the stomach.

"It's not an optional talk Y/s/n. You haven't been listening to your mother. So you'll have to do with me now." Y/s/n huffed. "Now, why did you get in a fight."

"I thought you would have been proud of me. At least I actually hit him, unlike you did after that one race that pink guy took your win from you." Years later, the Esteban Ocon accident was still haunting him.

"That was a stupid mistake. There is no occasion where using violence is good. I really regret that moment and I did get punished for it."

"The only thing you did was shove him."

"Still it's not OK to do." Y/s/n rolled his eyes at his father. "Y/s/n, I'm not joking. It's not how we raised you. Now I know there have been some changes around here-" Again Y/s/n rolled his eyes. "And I don't expect you to understand them in any way."

"Then let me!" Y/s/n suddenly shouted. "I want to understand what is going on. I want to do something to keep this family from falling apart. That's what you were supposed to do, but seeing you're failing, I will do it. The thing is, I don't know what is going on, so I can't do anything!"

"Y/s/n..." Max rubbed his face. "I know it doesn't really add up but this is the best for everyone."

"How is it good that mom no longer lives in the same house. How is it good that whenever you are gone, she drags us to our grandparent's because she lives there and doesn't want to be in this house anymore. The house where Y/d/n and I were born. Where the two of you lived since you have gotten married..." Suddenly it dawned on Y/s/n. "She actually meant what she said didn't she?" Max frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"I overheard the two of you argue and she said she no longer loved you. She was speaking the truth wasn't she?" Max nodded.

"But nothing is going to be for the worse. Your mother and I will lead separate lives, but you will live here. You will only be gone when I leave for the races, which is only on the weekends." The advantage that the house was located close to the factory was that Max didn't have to travel far for factory days and would be home before supper to take care of Y/s/n and Y/d/n. "You will be going to the same school, with your own friends."

"Have you told Y/d/n?" Y/s/n silently asked. Max shook his head.

"Not yet and you don't have to take care of that, besides, it's for the better that you don't tell her what you heard. She won't understand anyway, she's too young." Y/s/n nodded.

"It's for the better. We decided it because of you, we want you two to be happy, we love you and this is the best decision. You will understand when you have kids of your own you will do everything for them to make them happy. Yes, it will hurt for a while, but in the end, it will be for the better." Max squeezed Y/s/n shoulder. "Now, can we make a deal? You come home straight after school or let me or your mother know where you are. You won't hang at places when it gets dark and don't have to think you need to fix everything. It is hard on both your mother and I but we have to deal with it, not you." Max hugged his son tightly as they both started to cry.

You watched Max talk to your son. Neither knew you were home, so neither knew you heard everything they said. Tears were silently falling down your cheeks as you watched father and son interact and then pour their souls out. Suddenly, it clicked. The aching, the crying, the suffering, it wasn't because the stress of the last period had been so hard on you. It was because you missed Max, you missed his love. The fights weren't because you didn't love him anymore, but because you didn't feel loved. He was busy with racing most and then came the children, you were getting less and less important.

When you realised that, a sob escaped your lips and the two boys you loved most in life shot their heads up.

"How long have you been there?" Max asked with a croggy voice.

"Can we talk?" You asked him and Max nodded, squeezing Y/s/n gently once again. "You don't have to worry about anything Y/s/n. If your father is still willing to fight for what we had, we will. And I thought I meant what I said that day, but I don't I love your father more than any other man in the world. Though I'm starting to doubt that as you are growing to be a man more every day instead of just my little boy." A smile broke through on both Verstappen's faces.

"Really?" Max asked carefully, but the hope shining through in just the one little word.

"Really. I love you and I will fight for you."