Chapter 23: "What's wrong?"

-Ava's POV-

"Ava your dress is absolutely stunning!"

"Thanks!" I smile as I glance across the room at the dress hanging off my mirror.

"I'm just going to keep your makeup simple, that alright?" Lou asks me.

"Whatever you think is fine." I sigh absentmindedly as I look down at the itinerary for the evening.

"Stop stressing, it will go splendidly." Lou reassures me as she wraps another piece of my hair around a curling iron.

"You could stay, be my date and help me get through this horrid evening."

"It won't be horrid! Just tell that Marge or whatever her name is to sod off and make your assistant do all the work. Besides you know I can't miss my flight, I need to see my baby."

"I know.. And I do really appreciate you helping me get ready."

"No problem at all love. Though I am ready to get home. This tour feels like its gone on for ages." Lou smiles at me in the mirror as she pulls out her cosmetic case.

I try to relax as I close my eyes, letting her dust various brushes over my face.

"Besides... You know all the lads will be here, and El and Perrie, so you won't be alone."

"Mmmhmmm." I agree as I feel her smooth some blush across my cheeks.

"And Harry will be here..... just pretend he's your date."

I open one eye, catching Lou with a little smirk on her face.

"So we're allowed to talk about Harry now?" I question.

Ever since things ended between us, Lou has made a determined effort to remain a neutral party. She's one of Harry's best friends, so I really didn't expect her to still spend time with me, but we've never lost touch. Her one rule was she wasn't going to talk to me about Harry or to Harry about me.

"Well you are mates now.."

"So you went from not speaking to me about him at all to telling me to pretend he's my date? That's a bit of a 180."

"Just cause I wouldn't talk to you guys about each other didn't mean for one second that I believed you were'nt meant for each other." Lou glances at me in the mirror, trying to gauge my reaction.

"Can we please not talk about Harry right now? I've got enough stress already."

"I'll take that as a 'I'm still head over heels for the wanker'" She laughs.

"Please don't. We're just friends."

"Ava, I really think you need to know that..."

"Ava! We're having a crisis downstairs!" Jenna cuts Lou off as she pokes her head in the door, looking extremely exasperated.

"What's the problem?"

"Margaret is losing it cause the souffle didn't rise properly. It's ridiculous, I know, but the woman is scary when she's angry."

"First, get Margaret to start drinking. Pronto. Then tell the chef to just put extra whipped cream on the top of each one, no one will even know." I sigh, wondering how I even survived planning this thing.

"Right." Jenna nods, then starts talking into her headset, relaying my instructions to some of our wait staff.

"And if she doesn't calm down, tell her David Beckham is coming. It's a last resort, but I guarantee you she will disappear into the bathroom for about an hour trying to make sure her face is perfect."