Chapter 25: "So that's it then?"

-Harry's POV-

I pace back and forth as Ava stands there, intent on being the most frustrating woman on earth.

I have no bloody idea if she's mad at me cause I brought a date or for something else I could of said or done.

All I can do is hope.

Hope that it's because she wanted to be here with me. That she wants to be with me. Like we were before. Well, like we almost were before.

But I'll probably never know. Trying to get Ava to express her feelings, her true feelings, is nearly impossible. And I know better than to just ask her outright. That tactic has never worked well for me.

I understand why she is the way she is, with all that happened in her past. The thought of what she's went through makes me want to hunt down the little prick who did all this to her and kick his ass a second time. And perhaps a third, just for good measure.

"Harry, I'm sorry."

I sigh and take a seat on the steps leading up into the house. "Can you ever just say what you think?"

"I did." She replies, her voice small. "That's why we're here right now."

"Riiiight. The one time you speak your mind is to tell me I'm an asshole." I scoff, looking up at her. "It took months of pulling teeth to get you to admit you fancied me, but when you hate me, you have no problem just blurting it out."

"I don't hate you." She frowns, "Please don't do this. I'm sorry I said that, I shouldn't have. I don't want to fight with you. Can we please just go enjoy the party?"

"Well this is a shocking turn of events. Ava McCain, wanting to end a conversation because it involves real feelings." I look into her eyes and instantly feel like a total dick when I see tears in them.

"You know what? I take that back. You are an asshole." She glares at me.

I quickly stand up, effectively blocking her exit as she tries to move past me and back into the house.

"Fuck Ava, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that."

"Really? Because I think that's exactly what you meant." She replies, taking a step back.

"It's not." I run a hand through my hair in exasperation. "It just... It's drives me mad you can't just answer a simple question. Why would you call me that?"

She doesn't answer me, instead looking down at her feet.

I take a deep breath before I say my next words, knowing when it comes to Ava, they could easily push her away.

"Were you jealous?"

Her eyes narrow slightly, letting me know I've struck the nail on the head, "You're reading way to much into this, as usual."

"Really? Don't think I am." I reply confidently.

Once again she stays quiet, now avoiding my gaze.

"Your silence speaks volumes Ava."

Her eyes shoot up to mine and I search them desperately, willing her to just say what she feels. For once.

But she doesn't.

Her lips stay closed, holding a tight line. God she's stubborn.

"This game we're playing." I say, motioning between us. "I'm bored of it."

"I'm not playing any games."

"Aren't you though? Our entire relationship has been one fucking game. I pull, you push. I chase, you run. I can't keep trying to guess what you're thinking or how you feel. You either trust me or you don't. You either just tell me or you don't." I take a deep breath, knowing I may very well be digging my own grave. "It's like a bloody chess game, we just keep moving around the board endlessly. No one ever wins......"