Chapter 26: Checkmate

-Ava's POV-

"Mr. Styles isn't at home, can I help you?"

"Nora?" I ask the small woman who's smiling sweetly at me.

"Yes."

"I'm Harry's friend, Ava..."

"Ava! Oh yes! Please come in!" The older lady smiles at me as she opens the door wide enough for me to walk through.

"I'm sorry dear. I thought you were another fan that jumped the fence. I should of known better, you having that gown on." She laughs to herself as she leads me into the kitchen. "Would you like anything?"

"Oh no, thank you. I was just hoping I could wait for Harry to get home."

"Of course dear! I've heard a lot about you. It's so nice to put a face to the name."

I nod, feeling far to nervous to be able to come up with even the simplest response.

She smiles as she grabs a phone off the counter. "I know Harry wouldn't mind, so if it's alright with you, I'll be going now. I was just about to walk out the door."

"Yes of course. I'm sorry to hold you up."

"No no dear! It's fine."

"Okay, well I'll just wait for him on the patio if that's alright with you. I need a little fresh air."

"Absolutely! I'm sure he'll be happy to see you."

"Let's hope so." I force a smile, knowing he'll probably be less then thrilled to find me waiting for him.

"It was lovely to finally meet you Ava. Have a good evening!" Nora gives me one last smile and a wave as she heads out the front door.

I quickly walk out onto the back patio, taking a few deep breaths of fresh air. God, I don't even know what I'm going to say to him.

I stop walking once I'm next to the pool, almost positive I'm going to pass out at any second. Get ahold of yourself Ava!

I rub my hands together, attempting to get them to stop shaking. My body is acting like I'm about ready to go onstage. I can only hope that when I start speaking it will calm down just like it does when I start playing.

Calm down Ava. Just calm down.

I hear the patio door slide open and my head snaps up, seeing Harry walk through it.

Shit shit shit I should of prepared for this.

He looks up and his eyes widen when he sees me standing there.

"Ava?" He questions once he's found his voice.

He walks towards me, stopping just a few feet in front of me.

The lights from the pool reflect off his face, showing the confusion that is written across it. He crinkles his forehead as he waits for me to speak, and runs a hand through his long hair. As if this wasn't already hard enough, he had to look absolutely gorgeous right now. Life really isn't fair.

"What're you doing here?" He asks, looking deep into my eyes.

I force myself to hold his gaze, knowing there's no point in being afraid of him being able to read me like a book. Not anymore.

"I.... I need to tell you something." I take a deep breath. "And I need you not to talk until I'm done."

He nods, biting his lower lip in concentration.

I take one last deep breath, composing myself before I do something I've never done before, and say how I really feel.

"This past year I've done everything possible to try to not think about you. And I like to think I'm over you. I like to tell people that I am. But the truth is, I'm really really not."

His mouth opens slightly in shock, and I force myself to continue.

"Ever since I met you, no one else was worth thinking about. That scared me, and for so long I didn't know why. But then I realized that maybe I'm scared because you mean more to me than any other person ever has. You're everything I think about, everything I need, everything I want."

I feel a tear slide down my cheek, and I try my best to keep my emotions at bay so I can finish.

"The simple truth is I just want you. All your flaws, mistakes, smiles, giggles, jokes, sarcasm, everything. I just want you. And I know you probably don't feel the same anymore, but I just needed you to know."

I hold out my hand revealing a small chess piece sitting on my palm.

Harry takes it from me, turning it over in his hand. His eyes shoot up to meet mine when he realizes what piece it is. My King.

"You win." I sigh, "You'd won a long time ago. Just for some reason I thought saying nothing would be easier than telling you the truth.... That I am without question, absolutely and completely in love with you."

Harry's eyes widen in surprise but he doesn't speak as he takes several steps towards me, stopping right in front of me.

He brings his hand up and slowly wipes the tear from my cheek with the pad of his thumb.

"Av." He says my name so softly, in a way I haven't heard in so long, my heart melts. "You know... You have to know I'm in love with you. I've never been anything other than in love with you."

I half laugh, half cry at his words, feeling a sense of relief wash over me I've never thought possible.

He grins, his dimples appearing more prominently then ever before.

"Now are we just going to stare at one another like we want to kiss or are we actually going to kiss?" He chuckles, brushing a stand of hair off my face.

"I wouldn't mind staring a little longer." I admit.

"To bad." He smirks at me before pulling my face towards his and pressing our lips together.

___________________

Please vote!