Chapter 79: "Leverage."

-Ava's POV-

My hand is held tightly in Harry's as our cab winds through the wet streets of London. His thumb rubs circles over my knuckles, his need to show he's there for me ever present. I'm not in this alone.

I sigh as we pull through the gates of Harry's house, my mind continuously playing over my fathers words.

'how would his fans feel... how would his career be affected if your past was to... become public knowledge.'

I'm pulled gently out of the backseat of the cab before a large hand is placed on my lower back, directing me towards the front door.

I plop down on the couch, my fingers fiddling with the belt on my coat. My hands are snatched away from their aimless wondering, and gripped in Harry's as he sits on the edge of the coffee table across from me. His knees brush mine as he tilts my head up to look at him.

"What did he say to you?" His voice is soft and full of concern as he looks over my face.

I purse my lips in thought, "He.... Well he..."

My eyes meet Harry's and he nods at me to continue. "Out with it love."

"What do you think would happen if everyone found out about me? About who I really am? It would be bad wouldn't it?"

"Ava..."

"No, it would be. I can only imagine how the fans would react. Harry Styles girlfriend changes her name to run away from ex-husband. It would be horrible!" I ramble off.

"Stop." Harry squeezes my hands to get my attention. "He threatened you?"

"More you."

"What does he want? More money?"

"Yes, but I won't have you giving him any. Not again. I just... I won't have your career affected by me. I can't." I feel tears sting my eyes at the thought of my past once again making things hard on him.

"Av..." Harry's thumbs gently wipe the tears off my cheeks. "It won't."

"But how? He'll go to the tabloids or whoever else will listen to him. He'll tell them everything."

"No he won't." Harry shakes his head and stands up, taking my hand and pulling him up with me.

I'm led to his office, where he pulls a Manilla envelope out of one of the desk drawers and hands it to me.

"What's this?" I question.

"Leverage. Open it."

My hands find the small clasp on the back, and I pull numerous papers out. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as I look over various photos and documents.

"When I told him the money was stopping... I knew. Knew he'd think of something to hold over you to get what he wanted. So I hired a detective..."

"You had him followed?"

"Yeah. Apparently your father's business practices of late are fairly illegal. There's enough there to put him away for a bit. Enough to get him to leave you... us alone. For good."

"You want to send him to jail?"

"No." He shakes his head, "Jail he could possibly get out of. It's the fear of going in the first place that will get him to leave us be."

I nod, agreeing with his reasoning as I read over several pages. Underhanded trading, drugs. Just a couple of the many things my father has resorted to trying to maintain his lifestyle.

Could my family get any worse?

"I can't believe you did this." I push the papers back into the envelope and set it on the desk, "No one... No one has ever done something like this for me."