Chapter 48: The Truth

-Ava's POV-

I tap my fingers on the countertop anxiously, glancing out the window every few seconds.

Harry should be home any minute, and even though I've had all day to think about it, I still have no idea what to say to him.

When El showed up this morning I was still sitting in the chair in Harry's office, staring at the answering machine. I'd played the message over again and again, each time hoping I somehow imagined it all. But I hadn't.

My father had called Harry. And about what? Terms of some deal they had made.

The second I heard that word my whole past came crashing down on me, thoughts of Scott and the deal he had made with my parents making me physically sick.

It's not like that. Harry's not like that.

I've said those two sentences to myself hundreds of times today. If I hadn't, I know my mind alone would've single handedly destroyed our relationship. And I would be already be halfway home by now, broken-hearted and alone.

I run my hands through my hair, my eyes landing on the few bags full of clothes I bought today. I don't even know what's in them. I mindlessly picked up random items every time El asked if I was okay, giving her a smile and a few words so she wouldn't push the conversation any further.

But I am far from okay. I'm confused and scared and angry.

My head snaps up when I hear the front door open, my heart instantly racing.

Harry's eyes meet mine the second he enters the room, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Your bags... They're by the door." He states, his eyes scanning over my face.

I nod.

"You leaving?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"What happened Ava? We were good this morning. Great yeah?" His voice is worried as he moves to stand across the bar from me.

"Yeah we were."

"I called... I tried to call you."

"I know." My voice is devoid of any kind of emotion.

Harry's eyes search mine, glancing back and forth between them quickly, "I don't understand love."

The look on his face about kills me. I hate to see him upset or sad or worried.

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" I finally ask.

"What? Dunno... I.... No."

"We agreed we would be honest with one another right? No lying and no hiding things from each other remember?" I hear my voice crack, my emotions beginning to show through.

"Ava, I'm not... I don't..."

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" I repeat myself, cutting him off mid-sentence.

He hesitates, rubbing his bottom lip between his fingers. My heart is begging him to confess, to just tell me the truth so I know I made the right choice in staying.

"No."

The weight I feel hit my chest at his lie is suffocating.

"Please don't lie Harry. Please."

I feel the first tear slide down my cheek, and Harry is standing in front of me within seconds, holding my face in his hands.

"Avvvv. Not lying. I love you."