Chapter 64: A Not-So-Secret Meeting

-Ava's POV-

"Does Harry know you're meeting me?"

I look down into my cup of coffee, trying to think of a reply that won't sound like I'm sneaking around behind Harry's back. Problem is I kind of am and there's no sneaking around when you're with any member of One Direction. I'll be caught, I know I will. So stupid of me to do this.

Liam sighs, "He'll find out. Wish you had told him."

"He wouldn't of wanted me to come. And I wanted to hear what you had to say." I finally look up, my gaze meeting Liam's for the first time since I sat down.

There was no hug hello like normal, no shared smiles or laughs. Just awkwardness. Something I've never experienced with Liam before.

His eyes soften as he looks over my face, concern being quickly replaced by something else. The same look I've seen so many times over the past year. The one I passed off as friendship, the one I didn't realize was love.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" My voice is small, even my vocal cords not wanting to have this conversation.

He looks away from me, narrowing his eyes as if he's trying to think of what to say.

"Cause of Harry?"

"Harry was one reason." Liam looks back at me, "One of many. But he was the most important."

I nod, "And the others?"

"The others... weren't important. But dwelling on them helped me not say anything."

"Did I lead you on?"

"No." He chuckles humorously, "There was a time or two I had an inkling of hope, but I'm fairly sure I competely made it up in my head."

"Like when?"

"That weekend after Finn moved in with you.. We went to that club remember?"

"Yeah."

"Finn left early and we walked back. You tripped on that tiny little rock. Nearly busted your face in, but I caught you. Thought you were going to kiss me then. I felt like a proper fool." His eyes move down to his hands, looking defeated.

"You said you wanted to be completely honest with me?"

"Yes, figured it was time. You are one of my best mates after all. Or were... If there can't be anything else, at least everything will be out on the table. I owe you that."

I frown, thinking about his words and if I owed him the same. I know what it's like to love someone who doesn't care about you in the same way. It rips you apart slowly. Slowly enough that you don't even notice at first. Then one day it hits you. The pain of all feelings that were one sided, the ones you know would never be any different. And you feel so empty and so alone....

"Honestly..." I let the word roll off my tongue, knowing that with everything he's done for me, he deserves the truth, "I was going to kiss you that night."

I wait for his reaction, expecting it to be a quick snap of the neck looking up at me. But's its not. His head stays down, staring at his cup.

"Why didn't you?"

"Harry."

"And what made you want to kiss me?"

"You."

He nods, looking up slowly and into my eyes. "I don't know that I've ever been so utterly happy and completely broken hearted over the same word before."

"Liam I'm sorry, I shouldn't of said anything."

"No, glad you did. I know it doesn't change anything, but it's nice to know.... Had one factor been different..." He shakes his head, "Doesn't matter."