Chapter 53: Two Words

-Ava's POV-

The second piece of paper is larger than the first one, this one being folded four times instead of two. I open it slowly, expecting some ridiculously silly joke written across it.

Instead I find only two words written, and I gasp the second I read them.

Marry me?

I look up, finding Harry down on one knee and holding out a ring. His goofy grin takes up his entire face as my jaw drops open.

"I know I seem mad that I'm already asking this... but in all honesty don't remember when my heart didn't belong to you. And I don't want to wait for what everyone views as the proper time. I want you... I want us...." He takes a deep breath, "The first girl I ever kissed, I kissed under this tree. And I want the last girl I ever kiss to be here, under this tree. I want that to be you... I know this isn't very romantic or special.. and I thought of a million different ways I could do this... But in the end all that matters is that you say yes. So please, put me out of my bloody misery and say you'll be my wife. Say you'll marry me."

I feel faint, the blood rushing to my head all at once as I stand in front of him in total shock. I must be imagining this. We've only been really dating a little over two weeks. I have to be imagining this. My mind goes over every possible scenario on how this could end...

"Please don't overthink this Av." Harry's voice is quiet as his eyes read mine.

"Don't overthink this? Harry you're asking me to marry you..."

"I know what I'm doing."

"Do you?" I ask, immediately cursing myself when I see the pain wash over his face.

"Yes I do." His hand falls, resting on his knee as he grips the ring. "I'm not suggesting we get married next week. Or next year even. But you being just my girlfriend is utter ridiculousness."

"And getting engaged two weeks into dating isn't?" The words tumble out of my mouth before I can stop them.

"I don't think so.. No. We've a lot more than two weeks invested in each other."

"I know, but..."

"But what?" He stands, the hurt in his eyes apparent as he steps away from me. "You don't want to. Just say it."

"Harry, it's not that I don't want to." I reach out for his hand, holding it in mine. "It's just this... I've done this before remember?"

"No, you haven't." He shakes his head, "He didn't give a shite about you. I'm in love with you."

"I know, that's not what I meant. It's just this is a huge decision. For both of us. I don't think you are anything like him. At all. But that doesn't change the fact that what I've been through makes me scared of what could happen. Makes me scared to rush into something."

Harry frowns, his eyes glazed over and red, "I would never hurt you Av."

"I know."

"I won't go into this trying to convince you to be with me." He states, shoving the ring back into his pocket.

"I am with you."

"Are you?"

"Yes." I feel tears prick my eyes. "I love you. You know I do."

"Then marry me."

"Harry..."

"Marry me." He repeats himself.

"It's not that simple."

He sighs, his eyes scanning over my face with sadness, "So we're back to that yeah? You convincing yourself this is some complicated thing when it isn't?"