Chapter 68: Scared

-Ava's POV-

Laughter.

It escapes my lips, my hand landing on top of them to stifle it.

The dirty looks we received did nothing to stop the devilish smirk that was directed towards me, the constant complaining like a child.

"It's a slug carrying around a bloody house on its back. Admirable... But I'm not putting it in my mouth... No."

"It just snails."

"Wretched." Harry scrunches his nose up, looking down at his plate.

"Why did you order it?"

"Did you see the menu? Not a word of English."

"Funny, being we're in France."

"Can't read a lick of it."

"Shame you told the chef you loved it. Now you'll have to eat them all or he'll be offended." I tease, causing Harry's eyes to widen.

"Never seem to know when to keep my mouth shut. Hand me your bag yeah?" He nods towards the small bag hanging off the back of my chair.

"Why?"

"Desperate times."

"You're not putting those slimy things in my purse." I shake my head at him.

"Ah... So I'm not the only one who doesn't fancy them?" He raises an eyebrow at me, "Now do a lad a favor and help me smuggle these out."

"Oh no, I'll never get the smell out."

"I'll buy you a new one, love."

"It's vintage."

"Come on, what'll it take? Name it and I'll get it for you."

"They're that bad hmmm?"

"Horrid. Name your terms McCain."

I narrow my eyes at him, my mind playing over the various things I could demand.

"Your tan boots."

His mouth drops open, his eyes narrowing to mirror mine. "Pure evil is what you are. They're my favorite."

"I know. They're my least favorite."

"Way to kick a fella when he's down. I'm over here, eating rubbish and you've got to ask for my boots?"

"Yup." I smile. "Snails or boots, you decide."

"Bloody hell woman." He looks down at his plate then back at me. "If I get sick on these, I'm blaming you."

I laugh as he picks one up, looking at it in disgust.

A little over an hour later we are headed back towards the villa, snow coming down and coating the country side.

Harry focuses on the road, having insisted on driving back. We pass by several villas, me directing him where to turn.

The snowfall is heavy by the time we reach our destination. We rush inside, me laughing once again as Harry slips and falls into the snow.

"Meant to fall." He closes the door behind him, shooting me a smirk. "Don't want you bored now do I?"

I roll my eyes at him as he chuckles, shrugging his coat off his shoulders.

"Fire's out." He steps into the living room. "I'll get it started. You want to get us some drinks? Brought some wine, it's in my bag."

"Ummmm, actually I should probably get to bed. Pretty tired."