Rivalry Against Peers

Kara's P.O.V

Xian still avoids me from time to time espicially in public. But he always send me messages at home. Makes me want to hit my past self who missed him.
King never showed himself but I am not discourage anymore.

"I think It'l be Mendoza."

"I think It'll be Malvar."

"But Mendoza is in our class."

"Malvar is not from our class but he showed his persistence and brilliance."

"Isnt Kara the same? She is even a scholar."

"Kara is not from rich family but she showed her extreme persistence."

"What is hapenning?" I ask Penelope.
Penelope smiles and as if she is just waiting for me to ask. We went to the student billboard in first floor.
There is posted with a provocational text.

'WHO IS SMARTER? KATIRINA MENDOZA OF CLASS 1 OR DENVER MALVAR OF CLASS 2? PUT YOUR VOTE IN THE BOX. TO VOTE YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR NAME AND ID NUMBER TO CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE NOT CHEATING VOTER AND TO AVOID REPETITIVE VOTES.'

I almost want to laugh with a dry tears in my eyes.
I dont care who is smarter but why me? I mean I am not the top student in my class. And Class 1 and 2 doesnt share a common teacher so how are they going to evaluate the difference?

A handsome clean and neat glasses guy is also in front of that board.

"Ridiculous." I heard him said with a frown.

"I know right. Only wierdos will do this kind of thing."

He looks at me.
His thick brows raise a bit.

"Katirina Mendoza,huh. Just because I am in the second section you dare think you are smarter than me?"

Fuck.
Is he?
Perhaps,Denver Malvar?

"Denver,dont glare at Kara." Penelope said putting me behind her.

"This cheap provocation you laid for me wont affect my participation in the contest." Denver said and walks away.

"What a jerk! You think Kara will set this up to affect your competition? She is not even part of that competition of yours." Penelope pouts again.

Denver who is already walk far stop and turn to us.

"She is not a participant but one of her classmate is. I hope you are not being a poor judge of character again by hanging out with someone so calculative." He again leaves.

"What a jerk! Dont listen to her Kara."

"You know him?"
I ask.

Penelope nods her head.
"His father is also in jewelry industry. You must have hear the Twin Tulips?"

"What? Twin Tulips is his father's company? A strong rival indeed."

"In public views and opinion. But in reality, Father and his are friends and buddies.They cant be seen together but oh boy, they talk to the phone like secret lovers! Mom even thought Dad is a gay and in a relationship with his Dad."

".....no comment please."

"I know right! I cant also commented at first. Im so shocked. Anyways, my dad is not gay. Mom rest assured. But the secret phone calls continued. Im just glad that business doesnt ruined their friendship."

"Um...So, moving on. Why did he thinks that I am the one who is doing this crazy poll?"

"Cause Denver is the competitive type. He hates losing more than anything. He is a proud guy but dont think badly of him. He really am just competitive. But people misunderstood him and thinks badly of him."

"Pen,you like him?"

Penelope's face flush.
But she nods and not hide it.

"But I am in the lowest section."

"Who cares? Loves is not calculated by numbers."

"When we were kids. I am the one who always gets number 1. I am smart but as years went by....I think I become dumb."Penelope smiles bitterly.
"I even told him before that I hate stupid people.I want to dig a pit to crawl in."

"You said that?" I smile wryly.

"What do you know? When we were kids I thought Im a genius!"

I cant help but smile and rub Penelope's head.
Oh well, I also think I am a genius when I am a kid when the teacher praise my drawing. Looking back, she is just being polite huh.
Why do they have to makes me feel like a genius born from the masses of commoners?
Sigh...

When I came back to the room the class president came to me and bow his head.

"I apologize. It is my friends who put that announcement in the board. They want to distract Malvar to help me in the competition. I already told them to stop."

I look at him as he fidgets.

"I understand the desire to win and prove yourself but it is not impressive to win while in the back of your head you will wonder what if I really win without cheating? Isnt it also regretful? To satisfyingly win over someone you believe is unbeatable?"

"Like I said, I already told them to stop."

"Cause you already achieve your goal! Even if you tore down that stupid text everyone is fussing about it now! President, I have respect for you but that respect ends today. Whatever achievement, whatever fame you get here after I will always have a doubt in my heart....if you really did it with your own strenght!"

"That--"

"Yes. That is the painful truth about human President. Do 100 good things and they will remember you as a good man. But do 1 wrong mistake and whatever you did to clear it up your name is already tainted. There are no going back."

"..... ill withdraw."

"What for?"

"This. You tell me all this. Dont puzzle me. Straightly tell me what will make you compensate!"

"There are no compensation! You brought it upon yourself.You believe in second chances? Then hope for a rebirth!"
I walk away.

I then hug myself in the corridor while the cold breeze touches my skin.

Its cooling down.
After the shitty hot weather.
Now the air filled with coldness.

Second chances.
It is easy for people to say that you can give someone a second chance. But second chance only will be as successful as her if all the past mistakes are permanently erased.

"Not everyone is as lucky as I am." She murmurs.

The next day, the president ask the teacher to let him talk in front of everyone. He publically apologize to Denver and withdraw to the competition. He even admit using his friends to cause trouble.
Kara is amaze how tough he is.
He is trembling and crying.
But he said, 'I dont like that one mistake can ruin my image to the girl I like.' He said.

And then I am officially being courted by the guy I only knows how to call...The president.

I hope that next time.
Me and my mouth should stay where it belongs and dont make more shits about my life!

"I didnt know that Paul John is courting you!" Penelope.

"Neither do I." I said averting my eyes.
In my looking away, I saw the dark face Xian glaring in my direction.
I blink my eyes.
Is he mad that I am having a healthy love life while he is single? He cant be jealous of my youth right?

A/N:

A bad morning.