13 | Eleanor

A/N: Bucky and Sam have adopted a girl a few years back and now it's her first day of school! That's what I imagine her to look like up there ^

Warning: Homophobia

A soft crash and a thump, the mattress was moving up and down, her little hands shaking them as sunlight broke through the blinds of the windows, "WAKE UP PAPA!" Eleanor said in her pink unicorn pyjamas, vigorously shaking the both of them. Bucky groaned and snuggled into Sam's shoulder. 

"Babe, time to wake up..." he said to him. Eleanor was still jumping on their bed with her black hair swinging back and forth. Bucky made her kneel, feeling her weight he sleepily caressed her hair. "Morning sweetheart," he said hoarsely to his daughter. Eleanor giggled, holding her stuffed toy unicorn close to her body. 

"It's Monday! IT'S MY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOOOOOL!" she shouted enthusiastically, raising her arms in the air, a wider smile appearing on her dark coca skin. Sam finally got out of bed and so did the rest of them.

The sizzling of eggs and bacon on the pan as Bucky set the table, "are you ready to go to school, El?" he asked as Sam came back with the plate of food, served with toast. The five-year-old nodded and chewed her food. Breakfast was over and they started helping her pack and choose appropriate clothing. 

Before putting on her shoes, she ran upstairs and grabbed her stuffed toy, Natalia the Unicorn which had button eyes and pink, yellow and blue hair with a soft white fluffy texture and black hooves. Eleanor was about to put it in her backpack but Sam stopped her.

"Eleanor, you can't bring Natalia to school," he said nicely, kneeling down to her height, she pouts and lowers her head "but why?" she asks, holding Natalia close to her chest and cradling it like a child "Natalia helps me get through bad stuff, she's brave and pretty!" she says to her father. Sam smiles softly "I know, El but Natalia can be here all by herself for the day,"

"How will I survive without my best friend?" Eleanor said with puppy eyes and looking down at Natalia. Sam grabbed the toy gently but Eleanor pulled away and held it tighter with tears in her eyes "I won't go to school if Natalia isn't coming with me!"

Bucky noticed the situation after making lunch for her, putting it in her bag and turned towards Eleanor "you'll make new friends." Bucky said whilst stroking her hair as they both comfort her. "I DON'T WANT NEW FRIENDS!" she whines, stamping her feet. 

"I WANT NATALIA TO COME WITH ME!" Sam and Bucky look at each other and then back to Eleanor, "El, put on your shoes and we'll think about it...okay?" Bucky explains to her. Eleanor nods shyly as she puts on her shoes with Natalia next to her.

They move to the kitchen where their daughter can't hear them, it was 15 minutes until they had to go. "Do we let her take Natalia?" Bucky asks Sam, folding his arms. Sam sighed and looked towards their daughter "I guess so..." he said, "maybe just this once and once she finds a friend, maybe she'll forget about Natalia?" Bucky pulled out his phone and started typing.

"What are you doing?" Sam asks his husband, "researching," Bucky replied as he scrolled down the page. Sam pushed down his hands gently and looked in Bucky's eyes. "Buck..." he said sternly, Bucky sighed and sets the phone down. "Okay, we'll just tell her we don't want her to lose it - or get it ruined," he said finally.

After a moment of explanation, Eleanor finally drops the toy and they get in the car. They kiss her goodbye and she gave them a hug, a tight hug and looks up at them "I'll miss you," she says with a smile and runs off into the schoolyard and through the gates. "I hope she finds some friends," Bucky says, worried. Sam smiled and put a hand on his shoulder "it's okay, she'll be okay."

"EWWWWW!" comments a rude high-schooler group, pointing at them behind their backs, making a scene "THEY'RE GAAAAY!" Sam and Bucky rolled their eyes and started heading for the car, but the high-schoolers from next door followed them and teased. Bucky got tired of hearing these comments and turned to them, "will you be quiet!?" he cried.

"Aww," said one of them in a leather jacket "what are you gonna do? Sprinkle fairy dust?"

"No," said Bucky defensively, stepping towards them. "Bucky..." Sam said, pulling him away "they're kids leave them alone." Bucky sighed and stepped out of the fight, they got into the car "stupid teenagers," Bucky grumbled as he put on the seatbelt. 

Sam rubbed his shoulder and looked at him empathetically as they pulled up to the house, "I understand." he said with a smile. "I know," Bucky said, kissing him sweetly. They get inside the house, and Bucky starts cleaning whilst Sam goes off to work, "bye dal," he said to Sam, kissing him again on the forehead. "Bye love," Sam said with a smile and with that Sam was off to work.

***

Bucky had picked up Eleanor, walking in the playground and saw her running towards him, he scooped her up and hugged her as she wrapped her arms around his neck, "how are you, El? How was school?" He set her down and she smiled. "Good!" she said as they got into the car. They went back to the house and she instantly grabbed Natalia from the shelf.

She grabbed textas from her bag and ran towards Bucky who was sitting on the lounge and flipping through a magazine, "did ya get any homework?" he asked her, petting her hair. "No," she said as she sat next to him "I made one friend, though!" she said excitedly. Bucky smiled "that's great, doll." he said, "what's their name?"

"Irene," she smiles. 

"What's with the textas?" he asks.

Eleanor crawled towards his metal arm and lifted up the sleeve "can I draw on your arm?"

"Okay, sure but nothing bad." he smiled as he watched his cute, curious daughter scribble rainbows, clouds, stars and unicorns. "I learned how to write my name in class today," she said, writing her name on his arm, some letters were flipped with he liked it. "Thank you," he said, kissing her on the forehead and she giggled. The two spent time reading and making funny faces at each other and Eleanor showed things

The door swung open and she ran towards Sam, attacking her with a hug. "Hey, El, how was school?"

"Flobbtastic!" she cried as Bucky was already setting up the table. "What does that mean?" Sam asks her as they go to the dining table, holding hands. "I don't know it was Irene says."

"Who's Irene?"

"My friend!" she says as she sits on the chair. Sam smiled and looked up at Bucky. Dinner was served after a few minutes of cooking. Dinner was over, plates and dishes were in the sink and Eleanor got ready for her bath, Sam scrubbed her clean as she played with the bath toys. She was warm and snuggly as she set herself in bed, holding Natalia close to her body. "Goodnight," he says, kissing her forehead and switching off the nightlight.

"Night-night," she says, now drifting off to sleep.

A/N: Thank you for reading! I will do a part two!