26 | Valentine's Day

a/n: High School AU 

Why did Math even exist? It was one of the most boring things that Sam had come across. The lesson was about the end in 10 minutes. Just ten more minutes of writing down notes, he thought to himself. He looked across his table, he sat next to Steve, Tony and Bruce. Bucky was on the other table with Nat, Wanda, Clint and Thor. 

He had no idea how Thor was called Thor, he didn't want to know why. They were all a tight friend group and enjoy each other's company. The lesson ended and they went out for their break, picking a spot in the playground to eat in and sitting there, opening their lunchboxes or going to the canteen. They began talking about something upcoming, Sam wasn't really paying attention.

February? Wait, what? What about it?

"...Apparently, Vision is planning to ask Wanda out for Valentines Day," Natasha continued in a whisper, Wanda was at the canteen, buying a soda and garlic bread or something. "Really!?" Tony gasped in surprised with a smile across his face "I knew it! Do you think she's going to say yes?"

Oh, that. Valentine's Day. The romantic day for love and appreciation. He should make something for Bucky, his secret boyfriend. They've been dating for around 6 months now and none of their friends noticed. 

That was highly surprising as Natasha always knew stuff before people told her, for example like how she already knew that Tony was dating Pepper before he told their friend group.

She was the knower of most things. Maybe she did know but didn't want to bring it up? "Hey, Sam, you doing anything special for Feb?" Steve asks him. Sam shrugs and continued eating as he noticed Bucky watching him from the corner of his eye. Sam looks up and Bucky smiled at him, he smiled back. The bell rang. 

Already? He sighed, packing up, his stuff and going to his next class, where he had History next, wasn't so bad but could've had something better like Art but that was tomorrow. Bucky caught up with him, at least he had a class with Bucky. They sat down in their classroom and tried to pay attention. 

All they did was stare at each other, play with their pens or distract each other. At the end of that, they had English. Should he get something for Bucky? He should. Six months was a confirmation of getting his boyfriend a gift. 

He knew him well enough that he should plan a date or something. He decided to get him a flower, after spending his whole English class pondering about what he should give Bucky. Sam knew that Bucky had a thing for roses, those deep fresh ones that smelled nice and had soft petals with green stems. 

It was nearly the end of the day, Sam had never been happier. Their friend group split different ways either to the bus stop, train station, walking home or waiting for their car at the front of the school. Bucky and Sam walk home. Sometimes when they feel like it, they hold hands or stop at the bread shop to get something to eat. 

Bucky stops at 7th Avenue for the bus station whilst Sam continues on, they give a quick kiss goodbye and part their ways. Sam lives in a lovely neighbourhood with a few local shops. It was almost February the 14th, in just two days. 

He remembered there was a florist just a few blocks down where he lived. He decided he would buy the roses in the morning, nice and fresh and give it to Bucky in the yard on the 14th. He stopped at his door, getting our his cold metal keys that jingled as he fiddled with them to find the right one. He opens the door, greeting his mother as he set down his bag. 

"Did you have a nice day, Sam?" her mother greeted, Sam nodded and smiled at him. He grabbed a few cookies from the jar and started eating, oh, how he got so much homework today, why can't teachers let them rest? Just for once? 

The house phone started ringing and his mother went to pick it up, Sam started walking to his room. He lived in a decent house with open flooring and a cosy interior. He walked into his bedroom and started working on his homework. His phone buzzed as he was reading the novel he had to study, it was a text from Bucky.

Bucky: How are you dal? x

Sam: Bored but I'm good, you?

Bucky: Do you want to do anything for Valentine's Day?

Sam: I don't know, depends.

He had to keep his surprise a secret - and maybe they should go see a film as well after school. He feels the warm sunlight pour in his room and the cool breeze from the outside. 

Bucky: Should we tell the others in June?

Sam: what?

Bucky: About our relationship.

Sam: Oh, yeah that. You think someone already knows?

Bucky: Probably Nat?

Sam: We can come out in June or something, maybe earlier. Depends.

Bucky: Cool x

They ended their conversation. 

- - -

Two days passed and now it was time for the 'surprise'. Sam had bought the fresh roses, walking into the yard and calling Bucky. Sam was stunned about Bucky's outfit, he wasn't surprised that he looked good. He was always a handsome boy. 

Bucky smiled when he noticed Sam staring, Sam's cheeks heated and he shyly gave the flowers. "Happy Valentine's Day," he smiled. Bucky's eyes softened and he wrapped Sam in a hug and kissing him. 

"Thank you," Bucky said to him, wrapping him in another hug. Sam smiled as they held each other. They didn't notice their friends staring in shock until they released. "Are you two...?" Steve said, pointing between the two of them. Bucky shrugged and smiled at him. "Maybe," Bucky told his best friend with a smile.

"I knew it!" Natasha cried "Tony you owe me!" Tony groaned, pulling out his wallet and handing her a few bills. The only thing now was their date.

- - -

They had managed to sneak out, make an excuse for their parents and meet up at the cinema. The two held hands as the movie was playing, the buttery smell of popcorn and the tantalising music from the movie, it was magical. Sam let Bucky rest his head on his shoulder. They held each other closer, Bucky turned to him and they lock eyes, Sam smiles at him. 

Bucky leans closer and their lips meet, Sam kisses back and they smile.

"I love you," Bucky said to him in a soft, calm voice.

"I love you, too," Sam replied, holding his hand.

a/n: thank you for reading!