85 | School Band

Highschool!AU

Warning: Swearing

Poison. That's what Sam Willson was. A toxic poison that just sends Bucky over the edge. In a good way. Right now they're in the music room, Sam holding a piece of paper and a pen, jotting down what songs they should play. 

"No way," Nat said, making a fake puking noise. "No way in hell we're doing a Listz Sonata in B Minor." Natasha was on the drums, Sam is a pianist and Bucky is the guitarist. 

He had his silver electric guitar in his lap. 

"I was joking!" Sam smiled, poking her arm. He would die of cuteness if Sam smiled every second. The thing about being the band, you get to skip class a lot. Which was great because school was boring. 

"We have to try do a song that people would like." Bucky spoke up.

"TikTok?" Sam suggested, Natasha threw her arms up in the air and shook her head. 

"Sam, you make the worse suggestions." she groaned, she had red hair that was curled or straight most days, reaching just above her shoulders. It used to be extremely long. Bucky. kind of hated the music room, too. It smelled of something - like cheese or a dead rat. Maybe sweat?

Sam however, loved it. He even counted the amount of gum stuck under desks and chairs. It's currently twenty pieces and counting. 

Sam turned on the digital piano and started pressing chords, "let's...try to come up with something new."

"Like write our own song?" Bucky asked, setting the guitar down. 

"What about Queen?" Natasha questioned. 

"Too typical." Sam replied, she rolled her eyes. Bucky hoped that one day the two of them could agree on something. Bucky started tapping on the desk, there were only ten minutes left. "Want to go to Starbucks later?" Sam asked them.

"What about the song choice?" she pressed.

"Later," Sam replied bitterly, obviously sick of this room suddenly. 

Strange, Bucky thought. Sam's been a bit off lately, he's been either tense or just himself. Steve thinks its because of his fallout with Riley. 

Riley outed Sam to the whole school last year on Instagram that Sam was bisexual, he apologised for it but still – Bucky and Steve don't talk to him. 

He almost wanted to strangle him each time he saw him. He remembered that night when Sam came crawling to his house, crying and sniffling. He hated seeing Sam like that. When Bucky hugged him, he wanted to hold him forever.

Before he knew it, it was 3.30pm. Bucky put his guitar on the stand, Sam gathering his things - Natasha had just fled, lingering with fury. Most likely not going to Starbucks.

"You alright?" Bucky asked.

"I'm fine, Buck." Sam smiled, sliding his backpack on his shoulders. He knew that was a fake smile.

"You can tell me." he said, placing a hand on his shoulder. Sam was chewing on his lip and looking to the ground. Sam was a cinnamon roll and he'd do anything for him. He turned a corner before looking around(even though the hallway was empty and it was afterschool band practice). Sam signalled him to follow him. 

Bucky followed him to a corner next to the janitor closet.

"I..." Sam struggled to find words "this is going to sound stupid - but the other day - something fell out of Natasha's bag."

"A dead mouse? A tampon?" Bucky laughed.

"It was a love letter – to you." Sam said finally, looking up at him. He tilted his head in confusion. Love letter? To him? He knew that he and Nat go way back - but, she was in love with him? He fiddled with his fingers "and I confronted her about it and she got really mad - and embarassed but I apologised and now she doesn't like me. I feel bad but I didn't want anyone else to find the letter and blackmail her like what Riley did to me."